Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrBrightside  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2019 11:58:04(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hello all,

I'm not a Vibration expert so need some clarification. 

I have a HSE document which states: 'If a hand-arm vibration measurement system is to be used then it should measure according to the requirements of BS EN ISO 5349-1: 2001'

I have a company which supplies said measurement equipment state on their website: 'The Control of Vibration at work regulations 2005 and HSE guidance on HAV risk management do not require the measurement of a tools vibration to BS EN ISO 5349 in order to carry out a risk assessment'

So whats right?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2019 12:55:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Think you missed the subtlty - there is no need to measure to conduct HAV's management (manufacturer data, supplier data) HOWEVER when you do measure there is a specific standard for the equipment being used to conduct measurements

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
JohnW on 19/05/2019(UTC), JohnW on 19/05/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2019 12:55:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Think you missed the subtlty - there is no need to measure to conduct HAV's management (manufacturer data, supplier data) HOWEVER when you do measure there is a specific standard for the equipment being used to conduct measurements

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
JohnW on 19/05/2019(UTC), JohnW on 19/05/2019(UTC)
Redders  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2019 08:28:16(UTC)
Redders

I'd have a look at advice provided by Industrial Noise & Vibration Centre: http://www.invc.com/fact-wrist-mounted-hav-monitors-do-not-comply-with-the-standard/