Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SJP  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2019 13:57:53(UTC)
SJP

After the information published by the HSE concerning welding fumes, I have been asked the question "Is it required for all MS tasks. For example, if a weld is required to secure a nut, making it captive, is LEV required as the welding task will take less than 30 seconds to do the two tacks? In my opinion there is a time/cost/safety balance "resonable and practicable". It would take longer to set the LEV equipment than to do the weld. Would disposable RPE be suitable in these circumstances?

Thanks in advance

kmason83  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2019 14:19:16(UTC)
kmason83

You would have to assess the exposure here, look at what you are welding and the WEL for that or any by products, frequency needs to be factored as well as duration along with the mix of any other substances you exposed to as part of the process or other tasks you complete. Have a look at the HSE guidence here http://www.hse.gov.uk/we.../fume-extraction-rpe.htm then you can decide if RPE alone is suitable. I would say be over cautious rather than under cautious in these things as it's your or other peoples health and the acute or chronic affects may not always be immediately obvious.
johnmurray  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2019 17:41:30(UTC)
johnmurray

http://www.hse.gov.uk/sa...d-steel-welding-fume.htm "All businesses undertaking welding activities should ensure effective engineering controls are provided and correctly used to control fume arising from those welding activities. Where engineering controls are not adequate to control all fume exposure, adequate and suitable respiratory protective equipment (RPE) is also required to control risk from the residual fume"
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2019 11:39:29(UTC)
Hsquared14

We have gone down the route of obtaining welding hoods with air supply and filters because LEV isn't a suitable control for our processes, at the moment you can't get hold of these hoods due to the demand and we are on a "wait list" with the manufacturer!!

alex1980  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2019 12:54:50(UTC)
alex1980

You could ask a “competent person” to carry out a risk assessment and contact HSE directly? I know this forum is people voicing their opinions based on experience but it’s always better to just get someone in to be 100%
chris42  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2019 08:24:25(UTC)
chris42

So is that 1 nut a year, a month, a week, a day, an hour or a minute or even every 30 seconds. I think if you have welding equipment on site it may be hard to prove you use it say for only for 30 seconds once a week. Their notice seemed absolute “regardless of duration”.

Also, nut made out of mild steel or Stainless or??

Obviously document your usage etc so it does not sound as if you are making it up on the spot. If the HSE visit and say nope mask not good enough you should have LEV have an improvement notice. You then buy LEV.

I think the important thing here is that you ensure you are not harming your employees. Is it worth buying LEV so you don’t have to keep buying masks for ever and a day, with all the fit testing, clean shaven etc that goes with it?

There are other ways to make a nut captive and or stop it rotating when putting a bolt in ?

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/05/2019(UTC)
stephen1974  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2019 09:04:48(UTC)
stephen1974

Hi all, resurrecting this one.

The clients I am having to advise do a tiny amount of welding, on occasion. Less than a minute or two at a time maybe two or three times a month.

Obviously they don't want to be spending thousands if there is no need. The problem is, the information out there doesn't seem to take in to consideration these types of user.

IOSH did have a link on their website (may still do) to a company called breathe freely who had a tool on their website to assess requirements and they were advising general ventilation only for the above, yet the HSE has said that is no longer acceptable.

I then go on the HSE website and look at their Do you need extraction or rpe? page and extraction or rpe are still listed as n/a when welding out doors.

IS there no black and white - this is what you need to do guidance?

The other problem is 'extraction' can mean any number of solutions, how do you go about identifying which one is the most appropriate?

Edited by user 23 August 2019 09:05:48(UTC)  | Reason: One giant clump of text.

Benz3ne  
#8 Posted : 03 September 2019 13:48:50(UTC)
Benz3ne

Originally Posted by: stephen1974 Go to Quoted Post

Hi all, resurrecting this one.

The clients I am having to advise do a tiny amount of welding, on occasion. Less than a minute or two at a time maybe two or three times a month.

Obviously they don't want to be spending thousands if there is no need. The problem is, the information out there doesn't seem to take in to consideration these types of user.

IOSH did have a link on their website (may still do) to a company called breathe freely who had a tool on their website to assess requirements and they were advising general ventilation only for the above, yet the HSE has said that is no longer acceptable.

I then go on the HSE website and look at their Do you need extraction or rpe? page and extraction or rpe are still listed as n/a when welding out doors.

IS there no black and white - this is what you need to do guidance?

The other problem is 'extraction' can mean any number of solutions, how do you go about identifying which one is the most appropriate?

To answer a couple of the points you've raised;

The 'tiny' amount of welding is more than I've ever done in my lifetime, so I'm at no point stipulating I'm an expert in welding practices. However, the recent guidelines (February 2019 - http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/mild-steel-welding-fume.htm?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term) states that all welding fume can cause lung cancer. 

Reading the change in enforcement note, it addresses via heirarchy of control. LEV is the ideal, if welding has to be carried out. LEV isn't necessarily expensive, and if this task is ongoing for years, then it is likely to be a valuable investment (it'd be cheaper than a lung cancer civil claim at the least, anyway). 

The note also says that e.g. LEV, not explicitly, so extraction can be used, but should be supplemented with RPE, as mentioned. The combination of extraction and RPE and their associated costs might outweigh the cost of LEV. 

If this is a very temporary task, why not hire someone in for the small duration? It would likely be more expensive than doing it yourself, but if they're worth their salt, they should be able to provide suitable control measures for the task they're going to carry out.

The extraction measure that is most appropriate would be the one that completely removes welding fume from the vicinity. I.e. one with a suitable level of draw, suitable filter and close enough to the task. There are companies who should also be competent in advising on this, from the view of extraction + RPE vs LEV vs other, along with typical costs etc.

Lastly, I would argue that it does account for those types of users. It accounts for all welding activities so this is both large and small-scale welders.

Mark-W  
#9 Posted : 04 September 2019 08:19:46(UTC)
Mark-W

Whilst I agree with the HSE and their new regulations regarding welding fumes. Stating that ill health is now attributable to the fumes.

But every welder I know that welds in some form for their day job also weld freelance at weekends and nights. With no RPE or extraction at all. It would be hard to differentiate and prove that the illness is caused by work and not social welding. You can bet your last dollar that they would deny welding at home to move the burden to the company.

thanks 2 users thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
ttxela on 04/09/2019(UTC), SJP on 16/09/2019(UTC)
John Carver  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2019 12:00:27(UTC)
John Carver

The HSE guidance WL3 on Welding Fume Control has now been updated in November 2019:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/wl3.pdf

CptBeaky  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2019 12:18:57(UTC)
CptBeaky

It is much clearer now. Although I am surprised that for Sporadic or occasional low intensity TIG and resistance spot welding the feel that "general ventilation" is still adequate, with no mention of RPE at all. I accept that the fumes given off are mucher lower, but the original safety alert said that there were "no safe exposure levels".

chris42  
#12 Posted : 15 November 2019 09:44:27(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: John Carver Go to Quoted Post

The HSE guidance WL3 on Welding Fume Control has now been updated in November 2019:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/wl3.pdf

Thank you for highlighting this has come out.

Well that is significantly different to what they put out in Feb which stated

“Control of the cancer risk will require suitable engineering controls for all welding activities indoors e.g. Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV).”

And

Regardless of duration, HSE will no longer accept any welding undertaken without any suitable exposure control measures in place”

My bold and underlining. I think this should have been produced and issued 8 months ago just after their alert.

Chris

Holliday42333  
#13 Posted : 15 November 2019 11:09:02(UTC)
Holliday42333

WL3 does seem to answer most, if not all, of the questions raised when the original statement came out, but as chris42 said there are some significant differences and to my mind contradictory to the 'no safe exposure' statement.

There will be quite a few SMEs that have rushed out to buy RPE in particular that WL3 would now suggest was not strictly necessary.

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
SJP on 18/11/2019(UTC)
peter gotch  
#14 Posted : 17 November 2019 17:39:04(UTC)
peter gotch

This was discussed on these Forums when the earlier guidance came out from HSE in February.

HSE's announcement then, in effect completely ignored the concept of reasonable practicability and failed to recognise that for some carcinogens WELs have been set, which means that always defaulting to a worst case assumption is inappropriate within what COSHH requires in the U.K.

In some scenarios those who have welding operations might do well to allocate resources to other things where the overall reduction in risk would be much more cost effective.

This is not to suggest that welding may not pose significant risks. It does and that hasn't changed for decades or longer. Even the medical understanding hasn't developed that far over the last few decades. We knew it was bad news, but mostly concentrated on safety risks instead.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
SJP on 18/11/2019(UTC)
JohnW  
#15 Posted : 18 November 2019 12:40:18(UTC)
JohnW

Thank you, useful to get the WL3 update.

So for my clients where LEV is not practical, e.g. who weld under vehicles and outdoors, I am safe to recommend RPE e.g. 3M RPE equipment (for fumes + particulates FFP3, 3M 6500 mask/respirator + 6096 filters) if the general ventilation is good.

Those clients also do Plasma Cutting and Oxy-acetylene cutting with poratbale units. My thinking is to give them the same advice regarding RPE, see next posting for the HSE updates.

John

Edited by user 18 November 2019 20:27:55(UTC)  | Reason: typos and referred to next posting

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
SJP on 18/11/2019(UTC)
JohnW  
#16 Posted : 18 November 2019 15:50:13(UTC)
JohnW

The guidance WL14 has also been updated, oxy-acetylene LEV not specified

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/wl14.pdf

and for Plasma cutting WL15 only talks about fixed equipment - no mention of portable kit. For fixed equipment LEV is expected and in that case says RPE not normally needed.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/wl15.pdf

John

Edited by user 18 November 2019 20:26:33(UTC)  | Reason: typos