Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewjb1  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2019 14:19:48(UTC)
andrewjb1

Good afternoon

Im at a further education college and our performing arts department need a mobile scaffold tower for a theatre production. We have a mobile scafold tower however those that had the training on assembly and disamtelling were advised that they can nly put this up for themselves and not for a 3rd party, not sure why?

I presume all the other requirments for scafolding still apply such as inspections and risk assessments.

Scaffolding is not something i deal with very oftern so any advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Waz  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2019 14:42:23(UTC)
Waz

Need to consider that the USER e.g. those that are working on the platform, under the W@H regulations need to have suitable training.  

Additionally, this applies to those erecting the scaffold, who need to be competent in putting the scaffold together; plus those inspecting the scaffold to determine it is fit for purpose.

PASMA (Prefabricated Access Suppliers’ and Manufacturers’ Association) state: 

PASMA recommends that on towers where it is possible to fall 2m or more you should carry out inspections after assembly or significant alteration, before use and following any event likely to have affected the towers stability or structural integrity.  You should complete and issue the inspection report in accordance with the requirements of the work at Height Regulations. Re-inspect the tower as often as is necessary to ensure safety but at least every 7 days and issue a new report each time.

You do not need to re-inspect the tower if it is moved unless it was necessary to significantly alter it to make that movement or if anything happens when moving it that may have affected its safety.

A tower from which it is possible to fall a distance of less than 2m has different inspection requirements. It must be inspected after assembly, and before use; after any event likely to have affected its stability or structural integrity and at suitable intervals depending on frequency and conditions of use.

Mark-W  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2019 14:43:28(UTC)
Mark-W

It could be due to the fact that an element of working at height is covered in the scaffold course. Where as other members of staff may not be trained so can't work at height?

Or were they just angl;ing for more people to attend a course?

andrewjb1  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2019 15:08:01(UTC)
andrewjb1

I think it will come down to the level of training that we have to provide to the performers, im sure its the same in many theatres as scffold is used freqently in performces in many theatres   

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2019 15:19:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I have been working in HE sector for a few years and I have noticed the phenomenon of “Hands off it mine” that keeps cropping up. For example the estates people might have a scaff tower and they are trained to erect and use it and this means it is theirs and nobody else is allowed near it. Well of course others can use it but you ( Health and Safety person) must make sure that what they are doing is safe. So they might need some training for using the tower as oppose to erecting it etc. They should produce RAMS etc but there is no reason why you have to be in the brotherhood to go up a tower.  I am gobsmacked by people’s desire to scuttle off into a silo, which pervades universities and colleges.

andrewjb1  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2019 07:54:44(UTC)
andrewjb1

Ok thank you, that was my thought, personally i think as long as its inspected before each use and there is a risk assessment in place and training then it should be enough.

Andrew

chris42  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2019 08:08:22(UTC)
chris42

Seems like they were suggesting that only those that put up the scaffold tower can then use it. I found it quite amusing the thought of someone like Dame Judy Dench doing a spot of scaffolding before a performance :o)

I suspect when they say 3rd party it probably means other organisations, not other people in your undertaking.