Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MJT110474  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2019 07:53:55(UTC)
MJT110474

Hi All,

I'm sure you've all been asked this before, but i'm curious as to how in depth I need to be when it comes to safety data sheets (as a safety coordinator for a small firm) for instance, in our kitchen areas we have all of the stuff you find under your sink at home, for which I have SDS's for. How much of these do I actually need? (none of us keep an SDS under our sink for Cillit Bang or washing up liquid do we).

The main reason I ask this is because the cleaner keeps buying different products every time she shops and it's impossible to keep up with her sometimes.

Some informed advice would be appreciated please.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2019 09:29:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The SDS is something the supplier must give to you under CLP. What you need to do is to extract the relevant information from the SDS and along with any other relevant information use this as the basis for identifying the hazard posed by these substances in your workplace. You can then carry out a risk assessment as required under COSHH and decide on the best controls to manage that risk. Just because a product can be bought over the counter does not mean that it is “safe” to use. For example the gloop used to clean drains especially bath room type drains contains concentrated sulphuric acid.  We keep saying this but the risk assessment should refer to a process or procedure not the substances.  So for general cleaning you could probably get away with one risk assessment for cover the substances and how they are being used.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2019 10:29:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

Article 31 of REACH information in the supply chain actually permits a supplier not to provide a Safety Data Sheet so long as there is sufficient information attached in the form of product labelling.

Typically they will have generated an SDS in consequence of conducting the classification but will normally hold these back from the consumer market e.g. Washing up liquid - no SDS at the supermarket but when you look at the commercial/industrial application of the same material the web site will have an SDS.

If you want to control the cleaner you could either specify a lsit of products permitted at site or order materials on their behalf

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2019 10:29:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

Article 31 of REACH information in the supply chain actually permits a supplier not to provide a Safety Data Sheet so long as there is sufficient information attached in the form of product labelling.

Typically they will have generated an SDS in consequence of conducting the classification but will normally hold these back from the consumer market e.g. Washing up liquid - no SDS at the supermarket but when you look at the commercial/industrial application of the same material the web site will have an SDS.

If you want to control the cleaner you could either specify a lsit of products permitted at site or order materials on their behalf

MJT110474  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2019 10:48:03(UTC)
MJT110474

Thanks Guys, 

I'm aware of the requirement for the COSHH RA, but we still have a requirement to obtain SDS, I was checking the depths that we need to go to with these SDS. Obviously bleaches etc I was confident about, but things like washing up liquid, and whether we needed to get specific to the individual suppliers of such things as washing up liquid. 

chris.packham  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2019 13:03:04(UTC)
chris.packham

Rather than concentrate on the safety data sheet I would be more concerned about ensuring proper use. Consider the case where a company was prosecuted for a fatality, due to a worker who, assigned to clean a changing room in the plant, allowed two cleaning products to become mixed and gassed himself with the resulting chlorine.

In fact, if the products are purchased retail you will probably get more information about the constituents from the information on the package as, with minor exceptions, this will list all the constituents, not merely those with hazard statements as is the case with safety data sheets.

So training in correct use and what not to do with the cleaning chemicals is, for me, the way forward.

thanks 3 users thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/06/2019(UTC), CptBeaky on 17/06/2019(UTC), SJP on 27/06/2019(UTC)