Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
K Pickard  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2019 07:57:53(UTC)
K Pickard

Hi

For those that have successfully implemented mental health first aid provision within your workplaces can you give me an indication of the numbers you have trained in relation to total employee numbers?  We currently have approximately 10% of the workforce trained as first aiders (way above minimum standards) and I'm currently considering whether 5% mental health first aid cover will be sufficient. I'd be looking at a combination of MHFA 'champions' predominantly throughout the managment teams and 'full MHFA' throughout all areas.

Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

achrn  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2019 12:35:26(UTC)
achrn

We have basically the same number (plus or minus one or two) mental health first aiders as physical first aiders.  No-one is both. 

We are low-risk offices, our policy is at least one first-aider per 75 people calculated per floor, so actually because nearly all of our building have fewer than 75 people per floor we end up with an average of about 1 per 40 people.  So we have that many mental health first aiders too.

We also made it mandatory that all directors do at least mental health awareness half-day course, and we recommended it for the career tier immediately below director.  90% of teh directors were positive about it after they did the course (significantly fewer were positive before they did the course).

My personal opinion is that the mandatory course for all directors brought us more benefit than the MHFA people, but it's practically impossible to measure.

Woolf13  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2019 11:36:01(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi, 

As with FA there is no "physical" number that is prescribed and it is based upon the findings of your risk assessment. By way of an example we have 260 employees and 16 full MHFAs which equates to 6% coverage. We then trained 40+ managers in MHFA awareness (full day) and all other staff in awareness (half day).

When we discussed this with MHFA for England they were delighted and said that this was above and beyond good practice.

I hope that helps.  

Clark34486  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2019 11:17:50(UTC)
Clark34486

A number of my colleagues have undertaken mental first aid training over recent months. Two fridays ago I had a report of another colleague suffering and 'episode', obviously I can't go into details but we are talking about a rather serious incident during working hours within the work area, one of our mental first aid trained team attended and managed the situation (dealing directly with the affected colleague). It was an absolute revalation, so brilliantly and empathetically managed,  dealing with family and individuals' GP before realease from 'our' care.

I never needed to be converted from an initial standpoint because I couldn't believe in this initiative anymore than I do BUT it was such a spectacular success

Edited by user 19 June 2019 11:18:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified