Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Low15562  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2019 09:17:47(UTC)
Low15562

Hi, I am after a bit of advice - if an employee has been trained in harness use (through confined space work) is it acceptable for them to use a harness in other circumstances eg. to carry out an inspection of some equipment or machinery at height?  If it is acceptable is there anywhere I can find this confirmed in guidance?

Many thanks in advance.

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2019 11:47:14(UTC)
stevedm

The PPE regulations are the reference...answer is yes he can...that form of PPE can be used for any task that identifies it as a control measure in your risk assessment...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Low15562 on 17/06/2019(UTC)
grim72  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2019 14:14:32(UTC)
grim72

I'm assuming the harness remains the same regardless of the task (confined space or equipment inspection) so their knowledge of inspecting the harness should be the same regardless of task - I guess smore important is ensuring they are competent to complete the task rather than know how to use/inspect he harness? I've also sent a PM with some additional info that might be of use.

thanks 1 user thanked grim72 for this useful post.
Low15562 on 17/06/2019(UTC)
Steve e ashton  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2019 22:40:13(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Sorry, but I disagree... Quite strongly! A rescue harness as worn for confined space work usually has a shoulder attachment for the recovery rope to ensure a "casualty" is lifted head first and will hopefully fit through the manhole/entry port... A fall arrest harness is designed for attachment at chest or mid back to spread any shock loads as evenly as possible. The two are NOT the same and are not interchangeable. Confined space training addresses various issues - not just harness fitting and care. Ditto work at height training. The risks are different. The precautions are different. The harness designs are different.... And don't get me started on work restraint belts being used as falll protection.....
thanks 3 users thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 18/06/2019(UTC), jmaclaughlin on 19/06/2019(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 19/06/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2019 07:04:35(UTC)
Mark-W

Does the harness training specify the type style of harness on the certifdicate? To me a harness is a harness, it may have differing attachment points, for differing uses. But an inspection is the same?? Or are there differing inspection regime for each style of harness.

I'd be more concerned with the task they are undertaking. Are they confined space trained and working at height trained. 

fairlieg  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2019 07:29:49(UTC)
fairlieg

Originally Posted by: Steve e ashton Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, but I disagree... Quite strongly! A rescue harness as worn for confined space work usually has a shoulder attachment for the recovery rope to ensure a "casualty" is lifted head first and will hopefully fit through the manhole/entry port... A fall arrest harness is designed for attachment at chest or mid back to spread any shock loads as evenly as possible. The two are NOT the same and are not interchangeable. Confined space training addresses various issues - not just harness fitting and care. Ditto work at height training. The risks are different. The precautions are different. The harness designs are different.... And don't get me started on work restraint belts being used as falll protection.....

Completely agree.  A trained and competent user will also know the difference and be able to identify suitable point for either fall restraint or fall arrest, as they will have very different loading capabilities and know how to use work positioning lines etc.  Rescue harnesses and fall protection harness are in my opinion different things....

thanks 1 user thanked fairlieg for this useful post.
webstar on 18/06/2019(UTC)
billstrak  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2019 08:30:28(UTC)
billstrak

I believe the easy answer is to have the employee trained for W@H activities and the type and style of harness for use for either fall restraint or arrest will be explained, demonstrated and assessed.

Granted that the employee will have gained some experience in the use of harnesses from his/her CS entry training; however, the risks and application of the harness and possible rescue scenarios may well be quite different.

Steve e ashton  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2019 13:29:38(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Mark w... Confined space rescue harness.... Will not have a shock absorbing element. Will not have twin tail lanyards. May not be designed to withstand shock loads. Each of these elements will often be present on fall arrest harnesses. The two jobs are different and require different training.
billstrak  
#9 Posted : 21 June 2019 06:55:20(UTC)
billstrak

Mark w... Confined space rescue harness.... Will not have a shock absorbing element. Will not have twin tail lanyards. May not be designed to withstand shock loads. Each of these elements will often be present on fall arrest harnesses. The two jobs are different and require different training.

Nor will any harness have these properties. All controls WRT shock loads are incorporated in the lanyard which is regarded as a separate item according to regulations and properties.

GTD  
#10 Posted : 28 June 2019 13:39:03(UTC)
GTD

Originally Posted by: billstrak Go to Quoted Post

Nor will any harness have these properties. All controls WRT shock loads are incorporated in the lanyard which is regarded as a separate item according to regulations and properties.

This is correct, the harness inspection will be the same. but a harness used in CSR could also be used for working at height. providing it's not for the likes rope access in which case this is a different type of harness. But as Billstrak has stated the shock absorbing lanyard with twin tails are a seperate entity and in theory could be attached to any harness :)  

thanks 1 user thanked GTD for this useful post.
stevedm on 28/06/2019(UTC)
boblewis  
#11 Posted : 29 June 2019 09:33:14(UTC)
boblewis

There are also occassions where confined space work even in sewers and tanks also involves work at height - a problem I faced many times in both Sewer work and the chemical industry

thanks 1 user thanked boblewis for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 30/06/2019(UTC)