Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrBrightside  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2019 13:28:44(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi all,

One of our office's is based in a shared building of which we are a tennent. There is a designated smoking area outside the building (I say designated, its next to the bin store which is being used as shelter. Lets call that problem B and a fire risk). Staff and visitors have to walk past this area to get to the entrance and are encountering a lot of 2nd hand smoke.

This has been mentioned to the landlord, but no action has been taken. Other than Section 3(2) and 4 of the Health & Safety at Work Act, is their any other legislation that I could use to highlight the issue. I am also thinking of calling the local EHO to get their thoughts.

Thank you

jmaclaughlin  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2019 14:04:32(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

This link may be of assistance if you want to avoid a shared workplace confrontation.

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/what-do-i-do/business/

"Where anyone has a concern regarding the Smoke Free legislation not being adhered to they may report this to the manager / owner or premises staff. If this is not possible for whatever reason or this action does not stop the act of non-compliance it is possible to report non-compliance to the Smoke Free Compliance Phone Line on 0800 587 1667 (free phone). All complaints made to the Compliance Line are recorded and passed onto the relevant local council to follow up on."

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2019 17:23:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

The legislation stops at the door - it only applies within a building not outside

The only way to control the situation is to control the premises - your other option is leave

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2019 17:23:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

The legislation stops at the door - it only applies within a building not outside

The only way to control the situation is to control the premises - your other option is leave

WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:17:25(UTC)
WatsonD

How big an issue is it before you set too much time on it?

Do they walk through the area, or simply past it?

Do they have to go past several times a day as part of their work activity or just at the start/ end of shift (along with possible lunchtime exit and return)?

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 25/06/2019(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:27:28(UTC)
stevedm

Slightly disagree....The Health Act 2006:

Smoke-free premises

(1)Premises are smoke-free if they are open to the public.

But unless the premises also fall within subsection (2), they are smoke-free only when open to the public.

(2)Premises are smoke-free if they are used as a place of work—

(a)by more than one person (even if the persons who work there do so at different times, or only intermittently), or

(b)where members of the public might attend for the purpose of seeking or receiving goods or services from the person or persons working there (even if members of the public are not always present).

They are smoke-free all the time.

(3)If only part of the premises is open to the public or (as the case may be) used as a place of work mentioned in subsection (2), the premises are smoke-free only to that extent.

(4)In any case, premises are smoke-free only in those areas which are enclosed or substantially enclosed.

(5)The appropriate national authority may specify in regulations what “enclosed” and “substantially enclosed” mean.

(6)Section 3 provides for some premises, or areas of premises, not to be smoke-free despite this section.

(7)Premises are “open to the public” if the public or a section of the public has access to them, whether by invitation or not, and whether on payment or not.

(8)“Work”, in subsection (2), includes voluntary work.

MrBrightside  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:55:43(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies so far. We can't move (something about not being practicle and costing money all very negative if you ask me). The smoking area is next to the main path in and cannot be avoided. I've gone down the path of the Bin Shed (made of wood), being used as a smoking hut and a fire risk. See if that gets us anywhere.

CptBeaky  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2019 09:13:38(UTC)
CptBeaky

Is the "shelter" open on at least two sides? If not, then it mustn't be used for smoking, as it would be concidered indoors.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2019 09:23:04(UTC)
Roundtuit

Be prepared to be Mr Unpopular given you are the representative of one tennant in a multiple occupancy and tbh sounds like you are on a personal crusade - I would suggest the opening verse of the serentity prayer

There is nothing stopping an individual using any shelter whilst smoking - only where an employer has provided a shelter must it meet specific requirements - this scenario is a case of people utilising what is present rather than anything that has been provided

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 25 June 2019 09:23:04(UTC)
Roundtuit

Be prepared to be Mr Unpopular given you are the representative of one tennant in a multiple occupancy and tbh sounds like you are on a personal crusade - I would suggest the opening verse of the serentity prayer

There is nothing stopping an individual using any shelter whilst smoking - only where an employer has provided a shelter must it meet specific requirements - this scenario is a case of people utilising what is present rather than anything that has been provided

Hsquared14  
#11 Posted : 25 June 2019 10:14:27(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Its not strictly true that it stops at the door, you have to site your smoking area so that personnel accessing the building do not have to walk through secondhand smoke to get in, there are also other guidelines on the siting of smoking areas. 

MrBrightside  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2019 10:25:03(UTC)
MrBrightside

I'm not based at this office, it's actually the other end of the country to me. Just helping out the Office Manager with the problem.

The designated smoking location is outside of the bins, but people being people we obviously seek out shelter. 

Personally I would just ban smoking from any public area, I'm sure that would go down well.

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 25 June 2019 10:29:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

If it were a single occupancy at the site and it were a provided shelter I may agree - unfortunately there are several companies and no actual provision by any of them.

Avoiding smoking near a doorway is law in the US - not the UK - hence standing with the bouncer at the main entrance to our local Weatherspoons (other purveyors of sanity juice are available)

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 25 June 2019 10:29:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

If it were a single occupancy at the site and it were a provided shelter I may agree - unfortunately there are several companies and no actual provision by any of them.

Avoiding smoking near a doorway is law in the US - not the UK - hence standing with the bouncer at the main entrance to our local Weatherspoons (other purveyors of sanity juice are available)

stevedm  
#15 Posted : 25 June 2019 15:25:22(UTC)
stevedm

Think you are splitting hairs here....workplace is workplace under the regulations and therefore regulated...so it applies...hence the legitimate strategy of making staff go off site...didn't say it was practical just legitimate...

people who do not smoke have the right not to have second hand smoke ...it is just general respect for others, regardless of the legislation.... something I think this country is sorely lacking...

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 25 June 2019 17:17:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

The Smoke Free (Signs) Regulations 2007 specifically stated the sign should bear the legible wording "No Smoking. It is against the law to smoke IN these premises" hence the earlier comment stops at the door.

The Smoke Free (Signs) Regulations 2012 changed this to be merely a No Smoking sign within the premises. Again re-iterates stops at the door.

Outside of the shared office by the OP's admission NO employer provision has been made for a shelter and smokers are using a resource in a public space - which regulations apply to individuals frog marched outside?

Roundtuit  
#17 Posted : 25 June 2019 17:17:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

The Smoke Free (Signs) Regulations 2007 specifically stated the sign should bear the legible wording "No Smoking. It is against the law to smoke IN these premises" hence the earlier comment stops at the door.

The Smoke Free (Signs) Regulations 2012 changed this to be merely a No Smoking sign within the premises. Again re-iterates stops at the door.

Outside of the shared office by the OP's admission NO employer provision has been made for a shelter and smokers are using a resource in a public space - which regulations apply to individuals frog marched outside?

stevedm  
#18 Posted : 26 June 2019 06:37:14(UTC)
stevedm

I'm guessing by that reaction you are a smoker...

It is clear that a workplace is the boundary of the workplace...in your example yes the pub only stops outside...however in an industrial setting the boundary extends to the gates...there is a joint responsibility here...and again..it is just really about respect for others..

Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 26 June 2019 09:12:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

So where are these boundary gates in relation to the OP which describes shared office NOT industrial premises?

It is the law that must be followed not fiction or personal opinion espoused as fact.

Roundtuit  
#20 Posted : 26 June 2019 09:12:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

So where are these boundary gates in relation to the OP which describes shared office NOT industrial premises?

It is the law that must be followed not fiction or personal opinion espoused as fact.

CptBeaky  
#21 Posted : 26 June 2019 09:26:39(UTC)
CptBeaky

I was under the impression that smoking was banned in ALL public enclosed or substantually enclosed areas and workplaces in 2007. This includes smoking in bus shelters, sheds etc. if they are accessible to the public. If in this case the shed is not accessible to the public, but still enclosed on 3 sides, them are we to assume it is a private building, or is it owned by one of the businesses?

If it is accessible to the public or owned by a business, and enclosed without gaps for more than 50% of the sides (windows and doors do NOT count as gaps) then smoking in it is illegal.

Am I wrong on this interpretation?

stevedm  
#22 Posted : 26 June 2019 09:39:59(UTC)
stevedm

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Right back at you babe x

Xavier123  
#23 Posted : 27 June 2019 08:12:11(UTC)
Xavier123

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

I was under the impression that smoking was banned in ALL public enclosed or substantually enclosed areas and workplaces in 2007. This includes smoking in bus shelters, sheds etc. if they are accessible to the public. If in this case the shed is not accessible to the public, but still enclosed on 3 sides, them are we to assume it is a private building, or is it owned by one of the businesses?

If it is accessible to the public or owned by a business, and enclosed without gaps for more than 50% of the sides (windows and doors do NOT count as gaps) then smoking in it is illegal.

Am I wrong on this interpretation?

The definitions for enclosed/substantially enclosed are linked to a 'premises'. Premises is undefined.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/3368/regulation/2/made

Does it extend to a subway under a road? ;)

CptBeaky  
#24 Posted : 27 June 2019 08:56:45(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Xavier123 Go to Quoted Post

The definitions for enclosed/substantially enclosed are linked to a 'premises'. Premises is undefined.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/3368/regulation/2/made

Does it extend to a subway under a road? ;)

Fair play sir! Although I think we can agree that a shed is traditionally classed as a free standing building, with a single entrance leading to the outdoors. I am not sure if it did extend to a subway under a road it would still be referred to as a shed ;)
sibob  
#25 Posted : 27 June 2019 09:21:06(UTC)
sibob

why not put your own shelter in?