Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hacon40581  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2019 14:52:07(UTC)
Hacon40581

I am reviewing the arrangements for a Day Room in a Care setting. Several residents have walking frames. The chairs are relatively close together as you would expect as people chat to each other and the transit route in front of the chairs is wide enough for people to move freely - including wheelchairs. There is a tripping issue when people are moving to and from their chairs, depending on where the sitting residents have left their frames - which is generally in front of them or to the side of them. I am really interested in how this is managed in different places, if frames are put into a storage area after the person is seated then it removes the ability for people to move independently or they might try to move without their walking aid which is also a risk. The area is supervised by staff.

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2019 07:35:12(UTC)
stevedm

There is always the general slips and trips points good flooring etc...however with mobility, service users will have a range and perhaps it is possibe to segregate the areas in ability...I would maybe suggest a colour scheme based on the earlerly mobility scale (EMS) of the service users which would guide the control measures? ranging from little or no active support to full supervision and assistance..?3

The general slips and trips information is contained in the care home safety pamphlet below..

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg220.pdf

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Hacon40581 on 25/06/2019(UTC)
jwk  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2019 11:37:45(UTC)
jwk

Steve has given good advice, but I would add that you should not consider taking people's walking aids off them unless there is absolutely no alternative. It could be considered a form of restraint (and indeed is used as such by the unscrupulous). If walking aids are removed this needs to be risk assessed and documented,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
Hacon40581 on 25/06/2019(UTC)
Hacon40581  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2019 11:45:40(UTC)
Hacon40581

Hi thank you both for your replies. The added factor is that the users like to sit next to the same person who they are friends with and in their chosen chair, I realise we can move the chair but the balance between choice, DoLs and safety is very fine..........

thanks 1 user thanked Hacon40581 for this useful post.
jwk on 25/06/2019(UTC)