Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewhopwood  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2019 07:54:40(UTC)
andrewhopwood

A construction query  and canvas on thoughts: 

Under CDM,  HSAW and the 1981 Act first  aid must be supplied. The question is what  would be considered the minimum requirement on for first  aid provision on  a "shopfitting" site? 

1.Appointed Person 

2.Emergency  First  Aid

3.First  Aid at  Work

jmaclaughlin  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:38:16(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

It would depend on the size of the site, if there is multiple floors, number of personnel, including visitors/delivery drivers, ease of access for emergency services etc.

We always look to provide a couple of 1st aiders at all times as opposed to “Meeting the minimum requirement”.

We do this because that training someone in 1st aid is just a start as invariably a significant percentage of them panic at the sight of a lot of blood so as this is a foreseeable risk for us we have a minimum of two 1st aiders per shift.

thanks 2 users thanked jmaclaughlin for this useful post.
andrewhopwood on 25/06/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 25/06/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:44:00(UTC)
CptBeaky

I agree.

As with all these sorts of questions the answer is "It depends on your risk assessment". There is no "minimum" as such, just guidance. How high risk is your work place? What sort of injuries can you expect? What is the expected emergency response time? How many workers do you have?

All these questions will point you towards what you require, both in personnel and in your first aid box(es).

Sorry if this is not a clear answer, but in H&S there are very few clear answers. Although I would always suggest not using the "minimum" as a target.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
andrewhopwood on 25/06/2019(UTC)
Crag  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:50:58(UTC)
Crag

It would depend on the assessment of the hazards and potential injuries, along with the number of personnel expected to be on site and the tasks being carried out, especially if there are any potential major hazards. From there you can determine what level of appointed persons / first aider cover you need and what first aid equipment is required.

thanks 1 user thanked Crag for this useful post.
andrewhopwood on 25/06/2019(UTC)
andrewhopwood  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2019 09:08:00(UTC)
andrewhopwood

thanks for the replies so far,

my  own feelings here are  that  regardless of risk there should be at  least two qualified first  aiders trained to the level, of the 3 day first  aid at  work, allocated to each site. This would cover sickness, abscence, holidays and other unforeseen circumstances.

Risk Assessments aside, preparing for the worse case scenario is probably  better insurance than having minimum standards set. 

thanks 3 users thanked andrewhopwood for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 25/06/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 25/06/2019(UTC), SJP on 25/06/2019(UTC)
George_Young  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2019 09:57:26(UTC)
George_Young

We have 4 first aiders (which I am one of) and 3 Emergency first aiders in a manufacturing site with 35 people on the shop floor and 15 in the office. This is to cover holidays and any potential overtime shifts.

But for some unknown reason, everyone walks past all the other first aiders and comes to me. and both anyone asks, Yes it is well communicated who the first aiders are.

JohnW  
#7 Posted : 29 June 2019 13:39:41(UTC)
JohnW

I use the HSE FAW assessment tool. Might be accessed from here, seems to have changed http://www.hse.gov.uk/si...afety/firstaid/index.htm