Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2019 10:19:10(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, our company has recently bought in some metal stillages and I've been asked to ensure these are fit for purpose. I'm aware under PUWER that these shoud be inspected by somebody competent and should be before first use, at suitable intervals, if there is a significant risk etc. However, the stillages we have are to be under-slung and don't have any attachments (lifting eye hooks) for lifting; am I right in thinking that, they then therefore, don't need to be thorougly examined and only inspected/tested? If so, as 'general guidance' is 12 monthly inspections/testing deemed acceptable for such inspections (I know it will differ if a significant risk develops, but just generally speaking)? We are looking to type/sample test them (so not every one will be tested, only a select few) but we will visually check them all each time they come back from a delivery. From a visual check, I am looking to see if the rating plate is in place, the inspection is in date, check sections for signs of damage/deformation, rust, deteriation or damage to all welded joints as as well sharp edges (that may cause damage to lifting straps), FLT apperatures are not damaged/corroded etc. Are there are any other checks people would recommend? Thanks.

jmaclaughlin  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2019 15:53:05(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

Have you seen this thread?, it seems to answer a few of your questions.

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t72831-Testing-of-SWL-of-equipment

thanks 1 user thanked jmaclaughlin for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 28/06/2019(UTC)
grim72  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2019 09:18:13(UTC)
grim72

There might be some useful info for you in this HSE document: http://www.hse.gov.uk/PuBns/priced/hsg246.pdf  

I've also sent you a PM with additional info that might be of interest based on your description.

thanks 1 user thanked grim72 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 28/06/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2019 08:37:04(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, am I correct that the stillages only need an inspection, not a thorough examination based on my original description? Is anyone able to confirm please? Thanks.