Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hoosier  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2019 15:30:51(UTC)
hoosier

Hi Guys

The recent release of the provisional HSE fatality figures shows another rise to 147 deaths 2018/19. It is timely to state that on average 24,000 people have been killed or seriously injured at work every year, over the past 32 years. At the same time, less serious injuries have reduced by 66%. The only improvement intiatives that seem to have made a difference are Safety Culture and CSR. Members may like to follow the link and read the evidence https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1ZL5c3IVV9c~d7

Edited by user 08 July 2019 15:32:35(UTC)  | Reason: left out a word

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2019 11:47:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Hoosier

Surprised no one has replied.

Lots of studies about the plateauing of Serious Injuries and Fatalities including one by BST in 2012 which looked a some six multinationals across various sectors. 

Concluded that only about 20% of minor injury accidents are precursors of an SIF.

What we also tend to overlook is that the lost time resulting from occupational ill health continues to massively exceed that from accidents at work.

hoosier  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2019 14:10:59(UTC)
hoosier

Hi Peter. I am too. I thought at the very least it would spark some debate, but clearly not. Perhaps the membership do not see it as a problem in their company (i.e. they do not experience any incidents), thus there is not a problem across the UK. Who knows.  I think there was an attempt to discuss this issue in 2014 via www.shponline.co.uk and the IOSH forums, but again the issue did not attract any attention. Such a shame, as most people get into safety and stay in it as a career because they want to prevent deaths and maimings. C'est la vie. 

achrn  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2019 15:20:27(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: hoosier Go to Quoted Post

Hi Peter. I am too. I thought at the very least it would spark some debate, but clearly not.

What debate were you expecting?  Did you think someone was going to argue that killing people is a good thing, or that the rate is too low?

I don't see anything to debate in your initial posting - what did you say that you think was contentious and merits debate?  A statement of facts does not stimulate debate.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2019 15:51:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given the link does not function (it has been truncated) bit hard to be on the same page for contemplation

Adding functioning hyperlinks is the fifth block of icons on the top row - symbol that looks like a chain