Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nhodges  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2019 09:33:30(UTC)
Nhodges

One of the Sales team was told by a customer that there are new regulations regarding the repair of hydraulic hoses. Basically they have to be replaced and not repaired.

I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of what regs these are and when they are or will be changing.

Thanks

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2019 09:51:38(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: nahodges@sky.com Go to Quoted Post

One of the Sales team was told by a customer that there are new regulations regarding the repair of hydraulic hoses. Basically they have to be replaced and not repaired.

I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of what regs these are and when they are or will be changing.

Thanks

I have also heard this from 2 sources, I feel like this will more likely be a BS then legalisation 

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2019 09:57:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

This comes under the PUWER regulations with standard BS EN ISO 4413:2010 providing guidance

When you say "repair" I take it you mean cutting out a split/worn section and attaching a new coupling.

Clause 5.4.6.5.1 a) states: “hose assemblies shall be constructed from hoses that have NOT been previously used in operation as part of another hose assembly"

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2019 09:57:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

This comes under the PUWER regulations with standard BS EN ISO 4413:2010 providing guidance

When you say "repair" I take it you mean cutting out a split/worn section and attaching a new coupling.

Clause 5.4.6.5.1 a) states: “hose assemblies shall be constructed from hoses that have NOT been previously used in operation as part of another hose assembly"

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2019 11:41:17(UTC)
Hsquared14

I have always been of the opinion that hydraulic hoses should be replaced and never pieced or repaired. Don’t think this is necessarily new but perhaps a formalising of known industry best practice?