Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
H Maryam  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2019 07:27:19(UTC)
H Maryam

hi

I work for a small engineering company and we have about 29 employees, including workshop, engineers, office management etc. we have 5 fire wardens myself included (i am part time so not there everyday). Two of the wardens have volunteered to be First Aiders, no one else from the company wants this position. I am wondering if this is a good idea seeing that it would really stretch the wardens in an emergency situation. No one else from the company wants to volunteer for either duty and lots of the engineers work in the field and can be away.

Any advise on how best to manage this situation would be most welcome. thanks

ttxela  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2019 07:46:13(UTC)
ttxela

I've had this a lot - the same people volunteer for both.

You'd have to assess it yourself but I believe the likelihood of a major fire with multiple casualties requiring first aid is small and in that event I'd rather have motivated willing individuals trying to do both jobs than unwilling reluctant people tasked against their will trying to avoid doing the job.

Your first aiders will spend most of their time dealing with minor injories not associated with a fire, If you have good detection, housekeeping etc. any fire that develops will hopefully not require  multiple first aiders.

I'd train those that were willing and keep a weather eye on any new recruits likely to take on the role as well.

thanks 2 users thanked ttxela for this useful post.
jwk on 17/07/2019(UTC), H Maryam on 22/07/2019(UTC)
Natasha.Graham  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2019 08:23:50(UTC)
Natasha.Graham

I currently have a number of fire wardens who are also first aiders and to date we've never had a situation which has compromised either of their roles.  Those fire wardens who are also first aiders just make sure that they take their first aid kits with them on evacuation.

However, that said, you know your workplace - the layout, the risks etc., and it would really be down to your risk assessments. I agree with ttxela though - the likelihood of a major incident that would result in a conflict for those individuals is small, so I would also be inclined to train those who are willing and just make sure people know who to go to should they want to volunteer.

thanks 1 user thanked Natasha.Graham for this useful post.
H Maryam on 22/07/2019(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2019 09:03:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

I see some synergy in the two roles being combined, with your small workforce I don't think the role of either will be compromised in am emergency, I would be pleased people had come forward to take on the role.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Carl.Riva  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2019 12:01:43(UTC)
Carl.Riva

In my organisation I have a few fire wardens as first aiders. I look at it logically, if there was a fire in your work place would the fire warden administer first aid or evacuate the party from danger then administer first aid. I would like to think they would evacuate first. Plus i like the fact is someone was injuried during a evacuation, having a fire warden who is first aid trained would be a added bonus. 

As many have said those that are willing to carry out the role is better than forcing someone to do the role. 

Edited by user 17 July 2019 12:02:43(UTC)  | Reason: font to small

thanks 1 user thanked Carl.Riva for this useful post.
watcher  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2019 15:14:39(UTC)
watcher

Like others, I see the two positions as complimentary, especially with such a small workplace

i note you've asked for advice on how to manage this.  My advice is to  let it run, no additional managing needed

thanks 1 user thanked watcher for this useful post.
CptBeaky  
#7 Posted : 18 July 2019 08:01:55(UTC)
CptBeaky

I agree with the others, my only addition is that we have two fire assembly points. I ensure that we have at least 1 first aider on each. With fire wardens having first aid training this is made a lot easier.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Natasha.Graham on 18/07/2019(UTC), H Maryam on 22/07/2019(UTC)