Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2019 11:05:47(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, pre-user inspections; I know that it is a requirement under L113 Safe use of lifting equipment Reg 8 that pre-use inspections are done. However, I am not sure if I need to maintain historical records of these checks? Please can anyone confirm? The reason I am asking is because I am wanting to introduce a whiteboard system whereby all the checks are setup for each shift and the operators confirm that they have completed the checks (which I have written an extensive SOP for) and whether a defect has developed or not (which would then result it being taken out of use and a record kept of the defect); however, I'm not sure if this would satify an HSE inspectorate or LA (should we ever get a visit). I've tried keeping paper records with our FLT's and to be honest, it is nightmare to manage and takes up a huge amount of my time, and we only have 2. We have around 20 cranes, so if I was to introduce a paper record for them and be checking/scanning/keeping records etc, I wouldn't get anything else done. I've seen in indg422 that 'in-service inspections' can be kept 'until the next report is made' but I'm not 100% sure if it applies here or not. Many thanks (again).

Svick1984  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2019 12:26:47(UTC)
Svick1984

Bump. Please can anyone confirm?. I know there are electronic methods, but there is an on-going expense associated with them and it might be something we look at in the future. For the time-being, I just want to know if the below will be acceptable. Thanks.

Acorns  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2019 08:55:11(UTC)
Acorns

After a quick read of HSE L113, I agree that I couldn’t find how long to keep the pre-user checks. I might follow the principles of the other dates. Hold a record of when pre-user checks have been made-presumably they are submitted regularly so just have a tick register that it’s been done for negative forms and 5hey can be kept till next for defects keep them for a similar time to the thorough inspection - 2 years. That would prove the checks have been done along with details of any reported defects, whilst keeping the defect forms will help in analysis of any trends etc. There are some great apps for electronic defect reports /records that could be personalised to your equipment and save soooooo much time to administer
Svick1984  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2019 09:13:52(UTC)
Svick1984

Originally Posted by: AcornsConsult Go to Quoted Post
After a quick read of HSE L113, I agree that I couldn’t find how long to keep the pre-user checks. I might follow the principles of the other dates. Hold a record of when pre-user checks have been made-presumably they are submitted regularly so just have a tick register that it’s been done for negative forms and 5hey can be kept till next for defects keep them for a similar time to the thorough inspection - 2 years. That would prove the checks have been done along with details of any reported defects, whilst keeping the defect forms will help in analysis of any trends etc. There are some great apps for electronic defect reports /records that could be personalised to your equipment and save soooooo much time to administer

Thanks for the reply. I agree an app would be better, but 2 problems with this 1) they usually aren't free, so there's going to be an ongoing cost with them (though I suppose depending on the cost, might be something the company is agreeable to) but 2) the bigger problem is, not many individuals have company devices in order to use the apps, so unless the company is going to purchase and provide a LOT more devices, it limits the checks to a few people (myself being one of them) and realistically, I haven't got the time to do it and I don't have confidence that the remaining individuals who could do it necessary will.

H Maryam  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2019 07:20:23(UTC)
H Maryam

How about taking a picture of the whiteboard after the checks are done and saving those as a record?

Svick1984  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2019 06:52:28(UTC)
Svick1984

Originally Posted by: H Maryam Go to Quoted Post

How about taking a picture of the whiteboard after the checks are done and saving those as a record?

Thanks for your reply H Maryam. I guess this is possible, but it still means I have to monitor every single check 2/3 times a day (per shifts) and we have a lot of cranes, so still seems like a lot of work. I'm wondering whether spot-checking some and recording them would be acceptable? Thoughts? Thanks.

H Maryam  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2019 09:19:27(UTC)
H Maryam

i wonder if there is a scafftag like system for crain checks? We use the forklift tag as poeple forgot to do the check sheets, now its attached to the forklift and usually doesnt get missed out. Once the page is full we take a photocopy and wipe it.

maybe you can have a similar tag physically attached to the crain?