Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikecarr  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2019 14:36:14(UTC)
mikecarr

HI all

Probably a silly question but would an ex paramedic who is still registered be required to do a FAW qualification. We have new joiner who is a ex paradmedic and would like to be a first aider

Many thanks

Mike

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2019 15:45:13(UTC)
George_Young

How long has he been out of the Game? Reasons I ask is, I’m a first aider and every refresher someone changes, while the principal is similar. I would train him then your covered
stevedm  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2019 16:01:46(UTC)
stevedm

mmm...if he is a curent registered Paramedic he will have to use all of his advanced skills to save a life regardless of being a nominated first aider...and he will know that hence my scepticism, I could be wrong...

Apart from his clinical neglegence insurance and scope of clinical practice update there should be no problem...

However, I would check him out on the HCPC website, you can check any registration there just by surname.  If that checks out then all good...if not then he needs a FAW.

To maintain registration/ use of a protected title you have to have the appropriate training, be still working as a paramedic and up to date on CPD...if not you cannot use the title.

I think the HSE recognition of Paramedics for all FAW related activities was from around 2008...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
jwk on 31/07/2019(UTC)
samf  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2019 07:59:09(UTC)
samf

And registered paramedics with the HPC can teach FAW (with an appropriate teaching qualification), so I would take this as another indicator that HSE view this as at minimum comensurate with FAW! 

mikecarr  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2019 08:39:20(UTC)
mikecarr

Thanks Everyone

she is still registered as a Paramedic. The FAW guidence says the HSE reconise  this in lieu of FAW

always good to get other thoughts as we know nothing is straight forward

thanks 2 users thanked mikecarr for this useful post.
samf on 31/07/2019(UTC), watcher on 31/07/2019(UTC)
mike52  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2019 08:56:12(UTC)
mike52

MikeCarr this may sound like a silly question. Your email employee is a paramedic, will you be insuring her as such ? Or as a first aider ?
watcher  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:06:55(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Everyone

she is still registered as a Paramedic. The FAW guidence says the HSE reconise  this in lieu of FAW

She?

I love the subconsciously sexist assumptions made by some posters. :-)

samf  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2019 09:28:06(UTC)
samf

Originally Posted by: watcher Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Everyone

She?

I love people reading the thread where the OP says:

"

Thanks Everyone

she is still registered as a Paramedic."

samf  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2019 09:32:20(UTC)
samf

Originally Posted by: samf Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Everyone

She?

I love people reading the thread where the OP says:

"

Thanks Everyone

she is still registered as a Paramedic."

Sorry, misread your post! 

CptBeaky  
#10 Posted : 01 August 2019 09:39:58(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post

if he is a curent registered Paramedic he will have to use all of his advanced skills to save a life regardless of being a nominated first aider.

Ironically enough we started as "he" and changed when we was informed this was a lady

watcher  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2019 16:16:06(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

if he is a curent registered Paramedic he will have to use all of his advanced skills to save a life regardless of being a nominated first aider.

Ironically enough we started as "he" and changed when we was informed this was a lady

Well, yes, that was rather my point.

The first two responses appeared to assume that a paramedic/joiner would be a "he". 

Subconcious/unconcious sexism.

Not as bad as when people assume I'm my team's admin, if I answer the phone :-)

stevedm  
#12 Posted : 02 August 2019 06:34:56(UTC)
stevedm

It wasn't intentional, however you will know that when referring to legislation it is always in the male context...pity that was the only takeawayfrom that comment...

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
webstar on 02/08/2019(UTC), CptBeaky on 05/08/2019(UTC)
samf  
#13 Posted : 02 August 2019 08:18:39(UTC)
samf

Well, yes, that was rather my point.

The first two responses appeared to assume that a paramedic/joiner would be a "he". 

Subconcious/unconcious sexism.

Not as bad as when people assume I'm my team's admin, if I answer the phone :-)

Yes, that's what I realised when I re-read the post... :/ sorry for jumping on you unnecessarily! 

I work in what has stereotypically been a male dominated industry, and female colleagues of mine have had customers ring up, assume they are a receptionist and then not believed them when they've insisted they are part of the sales team (this was even worse for the female Sales Manager at the time). 

watcher  
#14 Posted : 02 August 2019 15:29:05(UTC)
watcher

It wasn't intentional, however you will know that when referring to legislation it is always in the male context...pity that was the only takeawayfrom that comment...

Well, it wasn't the only takeaway from that comment, I don't see the need to repeat what others have said already.

I make no apology, however, for calling out casual sexism on a professional forum.  I am surprised at the defensiveness.

Were it me, you would have got a "mea culpa", not a "well, but..."

CptBeaky  
#15 Posted : 05 August 2019 08:09:00(UTC)
CptBeaky

Not to side track the topic. But what casual sexism? The people answering were just putting themselves in that role and answering from their own perspective. When it was pointed out this was a lady, there were no complaints, we seamlessly transitioned to "she". At no point did we question whether the fact that this was a lady was releveant, because the whole point about equality is that it doesn't matter. The answer to to original question was the same no matter what the gender of the paramedic/joiner was.

I agree we should all be more inclined to use "they", "them and "their" as gender neutral pronouns. However, in this case the gender of the person wasn't in anyway relevant to the topic and to make it so is far more damging to the strive for equality than a mistaken prounoun.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
stevedm on 05/08/2019(UTC)
watcher  
#16 Posted : 05 August 2019 10:00:23(UTC)
watcher

Not to side track the topic. But what casual sexism? The people answering were just putting themselves in that role and answering from their own perspective. When it was pointed out this was a lady, there were no complaints, we seamlessly transitioned to "she". At no point did we question whether the fact that this was a lady was releveant, because the whole point about equality is that it doesn't matter. The answer to to original question was the same no matter what the gender of the paramedic/joiner was.

I agree we should all be more inclined to use "they", "them and "their" as gender neutral pronouns. However, in this case the gender of the person wasn't in anyway relevant to the topic and to make it so is far more damging to the strive for equality than a mistaken prounoun.

BIB above, of course they were!  The gender is indeed irrelevant.  The assumption that it was a he is relevant though.  That's the issue with casual sexism, it just drops in, and there are always those who don't see the issue.    Very professional

And you really think pulling people up on assumptions - or sorry, their own perspectives-  is damaging to equality?  It seems as a profession, we have  long, long way to go.

CptBeaky  
#17 Posted : 05 August 2019 10:51:15(UTC)
CptBeaky

I had a long comment to post after that, but I think it is just one of those "agree to disagree" moments. I think there are far bigger fights to be had, but then I am not the person feeling oppressed. Maybe I just know too many strong and powerful women, so I don't see the issue with the slip of a pronoun.

For the record I am a active member of the LGBTQ+ community in my town, so I know a lot about prounouns ;)

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
stevedm on 06/08/2019(UTC)