Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CptBeaky  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2019 10:32:20(UTC)
CptBeaky

Random question. As part of the insurance agreement we get our LEV, LOLER, compressed systems etc checked by a company of their choosing. We have no issue with this, it works well for both us and the insurance company. The inspection company is very competitive on price and does a good job.

However we renew our quote annually, and yet our LEV is done every 14 months (as per the guidelines.) This year we won't get an LEV inspection because our last inspection was less than a month ago. The next inspection will be due one month after we renew next year. The renewal quote however is the same as always. Is this industry standard? Do they build this into the costs?

Probably rhetorical, but it is Friday and it was playing on my mind. What experience do my fellow professionals have?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2019 11:17:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Insurance should be a separate cost from inspection even if conducted by the same firm.

How did you determine the provider is cost effective if their price is within your renewal?

If the cost isn't itemised I would challenge them to justify

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2019 11:17:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Insurance should be a separate cost from inspection even if conducted by the same firm.

How did you determine the provider is cost effective if their price is within your renewal?

If the cost isn't itemised I would challenge them to justify

CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2019 12:01:07(UTC)
CptBeaky

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The insurance and the inspections are two separate quotes/companies. It is just our insurance broker has arranged the inspections with a company that the insurance company accepts as competent.

We don't quibble the cost as in the past t has been competitive. It is only this year I was looking at the schedule, checking they had all the relevant plant covered. It was then that it occured to me that this year he LEV wasn't due.

I would imagine the Directors would be loathe to seek a different quote, they do like familiarity. So it was more of a rhetorical question, is this standard practise?

JohnW  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2019 12:06:19(UTC)
JohnW

I would just change the schedule to 12 months, that simplifies things even if an extra cost every few years
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2019 12:19:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

There is a purpose in the way the regulations were written to advance the testing (frequency not equal to 12 months) so that over time the examinations occur throughout the calendar year and experience different weather conditions

You could shorten the test schedule but then it is two charges during a financial year

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
JohnW on 02/08/2019(UTC), JohnW on 02/08/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2019 12:19:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

There is a purpose in the way the regulations were written to advance the testing (frequency not equal to 12 months) so that over time the examinations occur throughout the calendar year and experience different weather conditions

You could shorten the test schedule but then it is two charges during a financial year

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
JohnW on 02/08/2019(UTC), JohnW on 02/08/2019(UTC)