Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RobM  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2019 10:41:42(UTC)
RobM

Hi All,

I have been tasked with delivering a 10-15 minute presenatation on "The Benefits Of implementing a Management System"

I have been working on this for about a week & I'm going round in circles.

I have key points, but I could really do with some advice. (presentation tomorrow!!).

Many thanks in advance,

Rob. 

mihai_qa  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2019 10:59:12(UTC)
mihai_qa

Hi Rob,

Do you have a particular MS in mind? Or is it an IMS? Depending on your answer the presentation might change. But as general points I would go for (considering it's almost a long elevator pitch 10-15 minutes :)

Waste reduction

Risk Management and opportunities for improvement

Consultation and participation with/from employees

Business growth - attractivness and higher potential for tendering

Customer satisfaction

PDCA cycle and the opportunity to integrate all MS and continually improve

Improved work practices and organizational learning (corporate amnesia)

Seems like plenty to cover in a 15 min presentation. Start with the potential for more/larger orders. $$$ That seems to wake up the C-suits.

Best of luck

thanks 1 user thanked mihai_qa for this useful post.
RobM on 08/08/2019(UTC)
RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2019 11:24:36(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: RobM Go to Quoted Post

Hi All,

I have been tasked with delivering a 10-15 minute presenatation on "The Benefits Of implementing a Management System"

I have been working on this for about a week & I'm going round in circles.

I have key points, but I could really do with some advice. (presentation tomorrow!!).

Many thanks in advance,

Rob. 

Rob, it's a shame you did not provide a bullet point list of your 'key points' so that we could give you a better steer.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
RobM on 08/08/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2019 14:00:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Fifteen minutes is not very long for this topic. 2 to three days might be more appropriate!

Assuming they just want to talk in very general terms I would start with slide of  an a**e and an elbow as if you want to do anything right you need to know the difference, and anything resembling a management system should at the very least enable you to do that.

Having defined you terms and agreed that rather than blinding rushing into things without a though you want to take a more SYSTEMatic approach where you control or MANAGE events (the clues in the Name).

First you need to decide WHAT it is you want to deliver. You might go into motivations for this (money, legal etc). This once written down could be called a POLICY

You then need to WHO is going to deliver this policy and tell them what to DO

You then need to make sure that it has been delivered- CHECK perhaps.

You review/audit the process and ACT on the findings.

You can mention that it is perfectly possible to create such a system from scratch but your company might decide that it might be worth getting an externally certified system in place, which goes into more depth and can be thoroughly audited.

Organisations can apply this process to everything they do or they might decide to focus on one aspect of their business such as Environmental policies (ISO 14001) or how they apply Health and Safety principles in the workplace (ISO 450001).

That should fill your 15 minutes.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
RobM on 08/08/2019(UTC)
chris42  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2019 14:40:55(UTC)
chris42

In addition to above when you are considering policy you could view that as planning. Now - Plan, Do Check, Act, gosh I have seen that before somewhere.  There is lots of free info on such things for ISO9001 (QA management system). Of course, you may want to record some of how the above is done and who is responsible for what. This would of course mean that people may end up knowing what is expected of them and they may stand a chance of achieving the policy, if that is the sort of thing people consider a good idea.

It would mean everyone buying in and as it were singing from the same hymn sheet, again if that is considered a good idea. (alternatively use music sheets if not into hymns)

You can get these sorts of management system externally verified, but that would cost lots of money. If you have little time then it could be an option. However, no reason not to work to the principles of such a system and monitor yourselves (which you would have to do anyway).

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/08/2019(UTC), RobM on 08/08/2019(UTC)
andybz  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2019 07:37:01(UTC)
andybz

Make sure you focus on what you have been asked to present - Benefits. It would be easy to use all the time you have been given explaining the whats and hows; resulting in you missing the point.

In my mind the benefits from an internal perspective can be summarised as:

* Better consistency - if everyone works to the system they will do things the same way;

* Predictability - because methods are defined you know what you are going to get;

* Resilience - you become less reliant on individuals because they know how to do things and so less vulnerable if they are unavailable.

From an external perspective the main benefit is

* Reputation - potential customers or other stakeholders are reassured that you are well organised.

thanks 2 users thanked andybz for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 08/08/2019(UTC), RobM on 08/08/2019(UTC)