Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shecar  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2019 16:33:00(UTC)
shecar

Can anybody clarify/advise please.

I understand - or thought I understood SG28:17 which states: Scaffolds for timber frame buildings are not presently covered under National Access & Scaffolding Confederation (NASC) Technical GuidanceTG20 and therefore require a Scaffold Design.

This has been queried by a PC who was given to understand that as the building would be under 10m in length no design was necessary -can anybody help point me in the right direction with regards legislation please.

Acorns  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2019 06:39:08(UTC)
Acorns

Not my area usually, so just had a read of SG28.17 you mention. It looks like it’s the language used. You used the word “requires”, with SG28 using words like ‘should’ or ‘need’. I’d suggest one is more prescriptive whilst the other is recommendation. Just flicking through it, and considering the consequences of a failure at a later day. Even if it was not required by SG20, if it wasn’t in line with SG28 as an alternative, then management will have some very serious decisions to justify their actions I think that’s how I’d read it. .