Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Accidentia  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2019 18:28:00(UTC)
Accidentia

Hi

I have been asked for advice by a friend who has recently established her own beauty business including nail treatments.  She is self-employed and works from home.  Having recently been approached by a man requiring a nail treatment she is concerned, rightly or wrongly, that men pose a greater risk to her personal safety than women would do in the same circumstances.  To mitigate the risk I have suggested:

1. Someone else be on the premises - no-one available.
  2. Use CCTV - expensive for a new starter and will only record any misbehaviour rather than prevent it.
  3. Personal alarm - no-one about to respond.

Given her unease and that the heirarchy of control measures places elimination of the risk above all else, would it be reasonable for her to refuse to deal with this customer on safety grounds?  By ensuring he own safety, however, she may run the risk of gender discrimination, or on the grounds of sexuality, for refusing to treat men in general when offering a service.

Unfortunately, HSE guidance on matters specific to the self-employed working at home and running the risk of violence seems rather non-existant so any thoughts, advice or signposting would be welcome.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2019 23:27:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unfortunately I feel offended that you assume based upon gender I am some form of greater risk

Your friend needs to be careful and specific with their advertising - as to getting sued by someone who feels slighted when told services are not available to everyone sorry not an H&S issue. But typically not a male heterosexual action if you review the UK news.

Now turning it around how about they discuss their concerns with the potential client to derive a mutual resolution e.g. date/time when someone else (you) can be present.

The client may have their own concerns e.g. false allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

They may also have a large pool of friends/potential clients
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2019 23:27:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unfortunately I feel offended that you assume based upon gender I am some form of greater risk

Your friend needs to be careful and specific with their advertising - as to getting sued by someone who feels slighted when told services are not available to everyone sorry not an H&S issue. But typically not a male heterosexual action if you review the UK news.

Now turning it around how about they discuss their concerns with the potential client to derive a mutual resolution e.g. date/time when someone else (you) can be present.

The client may have their own concerns e.g. false allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

They may also have a large pool of friends/potential clients
douglas.dick  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2019 07:38:00(UTC)
douglas.dick

Another alternative could be to have another client waiting whilst the unkown appointments get done, this could be a friend at mates rates or a discounted regular customer. Doesnt sound that particularly hard to ensure someone is there. As already stated, schedule these type of appointments when it suits the therapist.

biker1  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2019 08:31:47(UTC)
biker1

I'm trying to get my head around the concept of men going to beauty therapists, but I'm probably old school.

Accidentia  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2019 07:54:59(UTC)
Accidentia

Roundtuit - I'm sorry you feel offended.  I do not assume your gender makes you a greater risk. These are the genuine concerns of a young girl who has recently embarked upon her own business venture which I am endeavouring to ameliorate. The risk of misbehaviour ranging from unwanted attention to physical/sexual violence most certainly is a H&S issue.  I have put forward your suggestions in an effort to reduce these risks alarp.

Douglas - Thanks for this suggestion.  It is another idea we will now look at.

Biker1 - Nail work is not my sort of thing either (steel pointy things excepted) but I gather certain guys do go in for having their digits enhanced in this way these days.

stevedm  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2019 07:06:26(UTC)
stevedm

CCTV - Have a laptop or phone recording...you must tell everyone that is happening which will also act as a deterent...you can just say it is being recorded....contact the local police community safety team they will be happy to help and may even provide the other end of the panic alarm response for you...or give you ther tips...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Accidentia on 27/08/2019(UTC)
Gerry Knowles  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2019 15:11:47(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

I too am offended that a male client is apparently a greater risk to a female business owner than a female client especially since if I was to say the opposite there would probably a great hue and cry about it and I would probably be suspended from the site. 

If this young lady is so cencerned about her safety perhaps working at home is not for her, perhaps "renting a chair" at a local salon would be a better choice for her.

ttxela  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2019 15:28:51(UTC)
ttxela

This could almost exactly describe my wifes business. It's not so odd that a man may visit since she also deals with minor ailments like persistent athletes foot, fungal nail etc. (yeah, I know, pretty grim!).

Whilst I can see the point of those that are offended by concerns over male visitors it's a concern that occasionally comes up with my wife although probably only once or twice in 10 years or so of running her treatment room from our house.

Usually its in the form of someone not coming across particularly well when they make a telephone appointment - obviously if anyone was directly threatening or unpleasant my wife would just decline to make an appointment but on a couple of occasions she has picked up on something that makes her slightly wary. In these instances she has just given me the appointment start and end times and asked me to call to check all is well. In all cases so far all has been well.

Of course this could be applied to female clients as well. It just hasn't so far in our case.

I wouldn't belittle these concerns or suggest that if you have them you shouldn't do this type of work, it is not such a difficult scenario to come up with a control measure for - even if that provides more reassurance than anything else.

thanks 1 user thanked ttxela for this useful post.
Alfasev  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2019 15:53:03(UTC)
Alfasev

Not my area of expertise but there is some good advice on:-

https://www.suzylamplugh.org/faqs/lone-working

thanks 1 user thanked Alfasev for this useful post.
stevedm  
#11 Posted : 28 August 2019 06:32:37(UTC)
stevedm

For those who fel they have had thier gender offended....I am male and although rather unfortunate my chemistry it seems means I am more prone to violence than a woman (there is a study that says 14-16 year old teens are just slightly ahead on the violence stakes at this stage but not in later life)....https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/experiments-in-philosophy/201202/why-are-men-so-violent

So your beauty therapist is right to guard against that risk, however not at the exclusion of all other risks to that persons safety. :)