Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevedm  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2019 09:24:52(UTC)
stevedm

After a few very very long debates with Sheldon El Cooper I though it was time for some light relief...because for me Friday is like a Superhero it always turns up just as I'm about to beat my collegue to death with my keyboard... 

So stupid but funny questions you have been asked...no you can't quote THAT thread!

hilary  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2019 11:08:13(UTC)
hilary

I had a highly educated engineer in my office who needed new shoe laces for his safety boots.  I passed him the packet of laces and he asked me, in all seriousness, if he could have another packet so he could do both boots at the same time.

I just looked at him for what felt like half an hour with my mouth open (I'm sure it was only a couple of seconds)  while I tried to process the fact that this highly educated person did not realise shoe laces came in pairs.

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 02/09/2019(UTC)
jwk  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2019 11:12:29(UTC)
jwk

Originally Posted by: hilary Go to Quoted Post

I had a highly educated engineer in my office who needed new shoe laces for his safety boots.  I passed him the packet of laces and he asked me, in all seriousness, if he could have another packet so he could do both boots at the same time.

I just looked at him for what felt like half an hour with my mouth open (I'm sure it was only a couple of seconds)  while I tried to process the fact that this highly educated person did not realise shoe laces came in pairs.

Maybe he thought you'd given him a packet with two right-hand boot laces in it? Or two left hand laces, or foot maybe?

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
hilary on 23/08/2019(UTC)
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2019 12:38:35(UTC)
stevedm

or the employee who was doing orientation on a new left hand drive vehicle and looked out of the window for the gear stick....

douglas.dick  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2019 12:43:41(UTC)
douglas.dick

If you cannot use the top three steps on a ladder, why do they make two step ladders?

thanks 1 user thanked douglas.dick for this useful post.
jwk on 23/08/2019(UTC)
biker1  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2019 13:27:34(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: hilary Go to Quoted Post

Just because you're highly educated in one field doesn't mean you can't be a complete idiot in another. Having dealt with a lot of academics, I can vouch for this.
thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 02/09/2019(UTC)
ttxela  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2019 15:08:34(UTC)
ttxela

Not really a question but I had a maintenance request to investigate a handwash basin not draining away properly in a laboratory. The basin in question was in constant use and trouble free for many years, mostly people just rinsed their hands under the running tap. The problem? - Yep, someone had broken convention and put the plug in.....

Also whilst giving a couple of colleagues a lift into Cambridge across the frozen fens early one morning the sunrise was most spectacular. "I'm going to take a photo of the sun" said one waving her phone about at the window. The other got her phone out, looked out of the window thoughtfully then put it back in her bag. "I'm going to wait until we get a bit closer to it" she said.

thanks 1 user thanked ttxela for this useful post.
biker1 on 23/08/2019(UTC)
biker1  
#8 Posted : 23 August 2019 16:59:04(UTC)
biker1

My brother worked in IT years ago, and it was amazing how many people shouted for help, for instance that a document wouldn't print, only for him to discover that the printer wasn't turned on, or there was no paper in it. Some people really shouldn't be let loose on technology.

chris.packham  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2019 09:27:23(UTC)
chris.packham

I remember once when having installed a very complex and expensive metal forming machine in for a customer in the NE and having spent the best part of a week setting it up and training the operators I returned to my base in the midlands only to receive a panic stricken phone call that the machine would not work. Apparently it was completely dead. So I drove back the miles back to the customer and examined the machine. Yes, it was dead. Tracing the power cable back I found that it had been switched off at source. Once switched back on the machine functioned perfectly again. The customer had several trained maintence men and one had switched it off, but it had not occured to anyone to check.

Have you never experienced some of the tricks that used to be played on new apprenctices, like being sent to the stored for a long weight, or some tapwata paste? Or is it that I so old I can remember these?

stevedm  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2019 06:50:01(UTC)
stevedm

Might be classed as bullying nowadays Chris...but when teaching operators on computer controlled targeting system..to go and get a new set of range gates...(which were part of the software)...my excuse was if they understood the system or indeed listened to me they wouldn't have gone!...surpisingly everyone did even the experienced operators... :)

score  
#11 Posted : 27 August 2019 14:20:27(UTC)
score

I got called to a lift that had broken down in a care home when i arrived the manager told me that all 4 lifts had broken down and she wasnt at all happy that this should happen at the same time? Having carried out a service recently i asked quite innocently i thought you only had one Lift? the manager then replied well the lifts on the ground, first,second and third floors were now broken!!!! it took some explaining before she clicked!!!!
JL  
#12 Posted : 28 August 2019 11:46:08(UTC)
JL

I once had a conversation with someone to try and explain how contamination can creep in materials and be unseen by the human eye, I finished the sentence with "right down to the very atoms that make up this desk", to which he responded "dont be ridiculous theres no atoms in this its only made of wood"

CptBeaky  
#13 Posted : 28 August 2019 11:48:43(UTC)
CptBeaky

I was once asked, "If I was struck and killed by the forklift, how much money would I get?"

I pointed out that he would get nothing, he would be dead.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
webstar on 28/08/2019(UTC)