Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jim Lamb  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2019 10:10:25(UTC)
Jim Lamb

We are transporting vessel which is resting on three supports. Our engineers to access underneath the vessel to secure an insert to a flange. Does anyone know of minimum space requirements for such a task?

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2019 11:24:46(UTC)
Bigmac1

I think you need a better explanation and some clarification as to what you are actually asking.

stevedm  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2019 06:56:32(UTC)
stevedm

I have some documents that I created for maint team a few years ago on ergo but headline is below..if I find more I will post it..

To provide adequate clearance for maintainers and to provide sufficient space to accommodate tools, test equipment, procedures, and other job aids during an in-place repair, a nominal 914 mm maintenance clearance should be provided around all major system components and piping of 610 mm diameter and larger.

stevedm  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2019 07:35:27(UTC)
stevedm

found some other references...more for when designing machinery...but might help

Horizontal reach - Max 27.9cm 

Horizontal reach - Large product assembly - 55.9 cm

Vertical reach - High Freq - 158cm

Vertical Reach low force tasks - 188cm

Jim Lamb  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2019 08:36:20(UTC)
Jim Lamb

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

I think you need a better explanation and some clarification as to what you are actually asking.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Basically, our engineers need to work underneath a supported vessel in order to bolt on a section to a flange. My question is, how much space as a minimum (if there is such a standard) must they have?

stevedm  
#6 Posted : 10 September 2019 11:24:28(UTC)
stevedm

I would go with the 940mm of clearance....which should give them eniugh roo to stay with maximum reach and effort etc...I think there is an Oil and gas guidance note somewhere I will see if I can look it out for reference...what I am listing here is from various engineering ergonomic studies and part of ergo training for engineers...

Jim Lamb  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2019 09:59:54(UTC)
Jim Lamb

Thanks very much for your help :)

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post

I would go with the 940mm of clearance....which should give them eniugh roo to stay with maximum reach and effort etc...I think there is an Oil and gas guidance note somewhere I will see if I can look it out for reference...what I am listing here is from various engineering ergonomic studies and part of ergo training for engineers...