Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ironman  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2019 05:56:10(UTC)
ironman

I am looking for anybodys experience of NCFE qualifications for HSE professionals.

I have been working as Corporate HSE Manager in UAE now for 6 years and constantly recruiting for HSE Officers and Engineers.

I have just become aware that the British Safety Council Level 6 Diploma has been suspended in the region due to some irregularities with training providers and all qualifications after 2017 have been cancelled.

It is quite common out here for potential candidates to seek alternative easier routes and it has come to light from a few of my team that an NCFE Diploma is available with little or no training course attendance except for a course handbook and an awareness day just before the examinations.

Personally having completed NEBOSH Certificate, Diploma and Env. Diploma I know first hand how much work is required to achieve a credible and internationally reputed qualification.

I note from IOSH membership info that the NCFE gives GradIOSH status and is rated the same level as NEBOSH which I believe is absolutely incorrect.

I have acquired a sample paper which quite clearly requires the majority of the answers to be bullet points with a little information.

Does any other Member have similar experiences or thoughts.

Edited by user 08 September 2019 05:57:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mihai_qa  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2019 10:09:43(UTC)
mihai_qa

The practices in this area with regards to shortcuts and malpractice are strife. I'm one that was lumped in with the BSC ban and after months of delays and calls I got them to treat my case in isolation. Turns out that if you can prove that was your work and show evidence of it, they're willing to help out. It never occured to me that I could be punished and delayed for close to 1 year because of some [expletive deleted]s that have no interest in the profession but keep opening these crap training centres to cash in. Suffice to say, that left a nasty mark on me and my view of the BSC.

Such a shame, as I prefer the BSC body of knowledge to the Nebosh dip . I saw that NCFE option and I've met quite a few that have taken it. This might justify the influx of new Grad IOSH and CMIOSH members coming from South Asia, particularly Pakistan. Try having a conversation with one of these CMIOSH. I said it before, I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that PRI. 

If you can supply proof, I'm sure IOSH will not take any measures (minority quotas, expansion plans, cash income and fighting off this agressive BCSP offense in this area). Would be nice if international members, myself included, would be required to go through a different assesment, preferably something held in the local British Council.

Shady training providers will keep this practice up and nothing will change. It's all about the numbers, though, right?

None will asume responsibility as they might come off as chauvinistic or discriminatory. Plus, it adds growth. Just look at the PMP certification and what that has become. It's a print factory.

At this rate, you will see adds demanding CMIOSH and paying 3000 Dirhams.