Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Angelo shanahan  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2019 11:47:21(UTC)
Angelo shanahan

I am looking to purchase a hand held speed camera for site to assist with regulating the site speed.

Has anyone any experiance of a relevent product

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards

Angelo

mike52  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2019 09:06:17(UTC)
mike52

Hi Angela. I cannot help you with camera info. It may help to know what type of site you are and why you feel cameras are required. Does that imply your other speed controls (such as sinage) is not working. If they are not why?? Mike
stevedm  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2019 09:26:46(UTC)
stevedm

I used them with variable speed signs back in the day...I have found that as the technology gets better cameras with photo options have helped to reduce the potential conflict for Security staff, HR and others who may have cause to use them...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 26/09/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2019 09:58:18(UTC)
A Kurdziel

You will find that if you have larger site with several discrete areas people might be tempted to drive too fast between the various areas.  If you decide that speed limits are the answer you really need some way to enforce them. A speed camera or a speed gun is the best option. If you don’t have this, it is often down to the taking a security guard’s word for it. Their judgement can be biased. On my old site we assumed that the problem was the classic boy racers, but they were really carefully on the site. It was the sweet old librarians who did 40 in a 20 mph zone!

MickD  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2019 10:37:08(UTC)
MickD

We've encountered the same issue on our site with visiting hauliers and contractors, and are addressing it in a slightly different way.

We've installed a couple of the speed monitoring signs that you see outside schools, but have additional mounts at strategic places around the site where we can move the signs at a moments notice.  The signs record the speed of vehicles approaching from both sides, which can be extracted by bluetooth and compared to CCTV so we can feed back to the contractors which drivers are taking the proverbial 'mickey'.

Our next step over the next couple of months is to fit actual speed cameras that will take photographs and send them via a mobile sim card so we then have additional proof we can send straight out without having to extract the data and compare to CCTV.

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2019 12:33:46(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think a hand held camera is a good place to start.  If this shows that you really do have a problem then you could move on to invest in permanently installed cameras and signs indicating speeds in excess of the site limit. I haven't used them myself but its certainly something I am thinking about as we have similar issues with employees in one particular building on site who think that none of the site traffic rules apply to them!

Acorns  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2019 17:41:38(UTC)
Acorns

"Speed guns" can be really appropriate or a complete waste of time.  Both hand held laser & frequency types (radar) need to be focused on the target vehicle for a minimum period - typically during which the vehicle will slow or the operator gets distracted, or you run out of distance to complete the check.   Its then a matter of how to confront or educate the driver. Typically its being stopped at the time and shwon the resulting speed reading with accompanying time stamp shown to validate it.  Part of the cost is paying to have someone sdtanding there - already a signal to the road users that a speed check is in place and defeating the excercise.   By all means borrow a 'speed gun' as a trial but don't buy until its tried.   Assuming you have an issue, I'd suggest buying / hiring a static speed check device with accompanying camera system.  They are movable and drivers are never sure if they are on or not (active and passive enforcement).  The data can be downloaded directly or remotely.   If you decide on an enforcement approach.  Make sure you ahve the policies and systems in place to support the actions being taken, whether it is to report offenders to the visitors, deal directly with the driver on site as well as the sanctions to be taken - advice, written warning, exclusion from site etc.  The key offenders are as liekly to be the site resident employees as it is visitors - be prepared for those results and aply the rules equally rigourously / gently to all drivers.

RayRapp  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2019 18:19:19(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: Angelo shanahan Go to Quoted Post

I am looking to purchase a hand held speed camera for site to assist with regulating the site speed.

Has anyone any experiance of a relevent product

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards

Angelo

Don't expect too many Xmas cards this year!

Edited by user 26 September 2019 18:21:13(UTC)  | Reason: Put comment in wrong place!

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2019 20:29:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Save the money - take a day a week and challenge those you think are speeding. Or if you have no FLT on the route put a bloody huge speed bump down. UK vehicle control is about segregation of the pedestrian not managing the vehicle.
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2019 20:29:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Save the money - take a day a week and challenge those you think are speeding. Or if you have no FLT on the route put a bloody huge speed bump down. UK vehicle control is about segregation of the pedestrian not managing the vehicle.
stevedm  
#11 Posted : 27 September 2019 07:31:20(UTC)
stevedm

research into driver psychology has shown that there are only a few who are totally reckles and endanger others and a more complete road safety approach would be to educate and enforce as engineering won't change thier behaviour...driving is a skill based, rule governed, expressive activity...we all know how to operate the controls and we all know the rules..however it is our personality we apply to the other two...wither that is two wheels or 18...

understand, educate...enforce (if necessary)..then monitor....

stevedm  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2019 07:42:55(UTC)
stevedm

I remembered a TRL paper that I found useful in the past...there may be more recent ones but I have fiund this one does a good job of covering all the angles...first published 2003.

https://trl.co.uk/sites/default/files/TRL564.pdf