Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doobrifurkin  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2019 07:22:59(UTC)
Doobrifurkin

Good morning IOSH members,

I'm looking foir some guidance with regards an injury suffered by an european engineer while installing a new machine at our site. The injury occured while he was moving a table to position his laptop to programme the machine and in doing so, managed to rupture his bicep. Starnge I know. The investigation has identified this is what he was doing. However, now that he has returned home, and as we understand it, for surgery to repair the injury, what is the process to report the injury under RIDDOR for an injury that occurred in a UK place of work although this has not surpassed the 7 day rule but it is likely it will, once we get confirmation from the installation company.

Many thanks.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2019 07:38:51(UTC)
HSSnail

From the details you have given it sounds like he was employed by the installation company not yourselves, and the accident arose out of his work activity not anything you did. As such any reporting requirements will be on the installation company. Not one I have ever considered but the HSE advice as always been that if you send workers abroad then you have to comply with the regulations in that country – so I’m applying revers logic here. Keep a record of the accident and your investigation but let them do the reporting.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2019 09:48:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

With them being a non-UK worker I would err to the duties to report placed upon a Premises Occupier / the Self Employed (In the case of the latter it is the premises occupier who must report any over seven day injury when informed).

I will concede they are not your employee however they were conducting work on your behalf in your facility by installing new machinery.

Did they complete the installation? Is the over seven day scenario because they have not returned to their employer or that they will be recovering from surgery? If the former I would report, if the latter I would merely record.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2019 09:48:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

With them being a non-UK worker I would err to the duties to report placed upon a Premises Occupier / the Self Employed (In the case of the latter it is the premises occupier who must report any over seven day injury when informed).

I will concede they are not your employee however they were conducting work on your behalf in your facility by installing new machinery.

Did they complete the installation? Is the over seven day scenario because they have not returned to their employer or that they will be recovering from surgery? If the former I would report, if the latter I would merely record.