Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SBH  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2019 07:36:31(UTC)
SBH

I am looking for a site similar to barbour that offers British Standards plus other forms of guidance - best practice, forms, toolbox talks etc across all areas anyone know of other business offering these at a better price

SBH

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2019 09:29:49(UTC)
George_Young

I've not heard of anything else like Barbour, however, BSI now do an online subscription service for standards called BSOL (website)

Edited by user 01 November 2019 09:30:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2019 10:53:32(UTC)
Ian Bell2

No idea what subscriptions fees are, but we use

https://ihsmarkit.com/index.html

Zyggy  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2019 12:57:17(UTC)
Zyggy

When you subscribe to Barbour etc. the largest part of the fee tends to be for accessing British Standards. In my previous employment we did have to occasionally access these & found that they could readily be accessed for free at the local library, thus making quite a saving. As George has pointed out the BSOL service is now available & most large libraries now have access to it - it may be worth your while checking this out in your locality first.
George_Young  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2019 13:07:52(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

No idea what subscriptions fees are, but we use

https://ihsmarkit.com/index.html

Not a bad system, I use it for my University research. comes up with more than standards as well

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2019 17:42:31(UTC)
peter gotch

SBH - suggest you think about how many British Standards you want to access before spending lots of money.

We use IHS Markit which also gives us access to American standards but like most things there's a menu with different prices. Even our subscription doesn't get us to ALL British Standards. For example BS 7671 is co-owned by IEE and we can't access it online.