Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
safeandshiny  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2019 13:46:18(UTC)
safeandshiny

Hi all we have a site that has over 60 forklift trucks in operation. at present we have a range of controls e.g comprehensive driver training, barriers to segregate pedestrian movement, a fob switch so the flt can only operated by driver, speed restrictor to 5mph, 

i am interesting to hear of any possible systems that will automitaclly sense if FLT not in operation after x minutes and switch off.

We do have a strict policy on never leaving trucks unattended but wanted to factor out human error as the operators can be on and off the trucks all day long

many thanks

Jo

Gerry Knowles  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2019 14:59:21(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

Its been a few years but there used to be a system called Truckloc.  That did a range of things from speed monitoring through to measuring impact levels, these operated by detecting the impact or high speed and locking the trucks out. This meant that the driver had to find the shift manager who had to come and enter the unlock pin to allow the truck to operate again.  This also generated a report so that the incident could be investigated.  It didn't have improve our drivers performance. Every driver had a pn number but the truck remaind locked out until his checks were done.  I have a feeling that one of the functions was that it locked the machine out if it was out of use for X minutes I thnk the trigger was that the seat was vacant and the seat belt was not connected.  I thnk the company is still around, they were based in the Midlands somewhere.  They had a website.  

On another note, I once did some work for a large Ice Cream maker.  The work was at their dark warehouse in the south west.  They were running a hugh number of FLTs in their receipts/despatch area.  I cmmented on the apparent lack of controls.  Their answer was that the drivers had all been trained to be highly vigulant  and the golden rule was that they were only allowed to turn to the right. I dont know if he was being truthful but if he was it looked rather like a ballet and in the 10 minutes I watched they did all indeed only turn right and there were no collisions.  

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
safeandshiny on 21/11/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2019 15:29:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why do you want the truck to "switch off"?

If they are fob operated surely the drivers departure (and therefore the fob) would stop the engine?

Any other time I would like to know the hydraulic pump is operating which is probably why auto stop/start is not fitted as standard to FLT's

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2019 15:29:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why do you want the truck to "switch off"?

If they are fob operated surely the drivers departure (and therefore the fob) would stop the engine?

Any other time I would like to know the hydraulic pump is operating which is probably why auto stop/start is not fitted as standard to FLT's

safeandshiny  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2019 16:53:43(UTC)
safeandshiny

Thanks for your comments. thats really helpful and will dig deeper ! 

the reason for additional controls is to remove human error which is increased due to the task itself in one area that identified the amount of times the driver was on and off the truck in a small space of time, 

I am unable to alter the task itself and a week ago we had to sit down with the driver concerned as he had gone on break leaving his truck on.

Obviously this isnt acceptable and speaking with him he had no idea he had left engine on  and was a genuine error,  we will of course monitor and assess area but i am a great believer in engineering controls where feasable (of course)  so in addition to training i wanted to expolore other options whilst doing so

chris42  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2019 17:11:14(UTC)
chris42

However just switching it off would still leave the fob (a means to restart it ) available for an untrained person to “have a go” wouldn’t it? ( while they were on break) Would it be better if the fob was to be on one of those springy clip on things attached to their belt, so if the get off they have no choice but to turn off and take fob with them ?

Or have I misunderstood the issue

Chris

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2019 19:48:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Along with Chris42 I had presumed your fobs were some form of proximity switch - walk away form the truck and it senses a "no key" situation and shuts down. These sound more like authorisation tabs.

ERICPD?

Your post suggests the task has overloaded the operative for whatever reason - being on and off a truck like a fiddlers elbow certainly won't be conducive to rational and logical thought.

Work through the heirarchy where control is 4th on the list just before PPE.

You could for example use multiple drivers to complete parts of the task and Eliminate overloading one individual.

You could for example re-organise the workspace Replacing the current locations that prompt the activity e.g. by utilising push in / pull off racking where the drive has no need to alight the FLT.

Or in line with your starting thought switch the igniton for the kind of dead mans key used for Jet-Ski's - pull the connection and the engine dies. Managers and drivers are going to get annoyed constantly plugging and unplugging if they are on and off which would likely lead to it being left in the socket or taking the truck out of service through wear and tear.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2019 19:48:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Along with Chris42 I had presumed your fobs were some form of proximity switch - walk away form the truck and it senses a "no key" situation and shuts down. These sound more like authorisation tabs.

ERICPD?

Your post suggests the task has overloaded the operative for whatever reason - being on and off a truck like a fiddlers elbow certainly won't be conducive to rational and logical thought.

Work through the heirarchy where control is 4th on the list just before PPE.

You could for example use multiple drivers to complete parts of the task and Eliminate overloading one individual.

You could for example re-organise the workspace Replacing the current locations that prompt the activity e.g. by utilising push in / pull off racking where the drive has no need to alight the FLT.

Or in line with your starting thought switch the igniton for the kind of dead mans key used for Jet-Ski's - pull the connection and the engine dies. Managers and drivers are going to get annoyed constantly plugging and unplugging if they are on and off which would likely lead to it being left in the socket or taking the truck out of service through wear and tear.

safeandshiny  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2019 21:41:28(UTC)
safeandshiny

Thanks for everyones input. I know I havent explained the process as I was just trying to see if anything was out there with regards to automated switch offs that are safe when a truck isnt in use after a eriod of time.

The trucks cannot be operated without the fob but if left on after access as was the case in this instance it leaves anyone being able to access

The procedure is to remove fob and switch of truck when leaving and as stated this operator forgotten so i wanted to look at ways to reduce human error. 

I am aware the process of the operator on and off a truck isnt great but at certain times the options suggested arent going to work for example on night shifts and the truck is used to reduce handling risks of heavy bins for the most part that can fill up quickly during breakdowns

I appreciate all your input though

Thanks

Jo 

Acorns  
#10 Posted : 22 November 2019 13:04:23(UTC)
Acorns

You could go as basic as a pressure switch under the seat or posh it up with a timed delay added which deals with the operator moving their weight around and avoids false messages. Unlike my lawnmower that can momentarily switch off the engine if you twist round on the seat to empty the grass catcher and take weight off the centre of the seat where the pressure switch is