Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stegalloway123  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2019 16:59:36(UTC)
Stegalloway123

Cleaners in a railway setting (maintenance shed) are heavy cleaning trains with excessive amounts of rock salt on. Checked SDS and it product itself isn't dangerous yet obvious measures have to be taken to control the dust. From what I believe, the salt isn't removed by just a normal everyday mop, but a more severe deck scrub is required. This will create dust. The train is located in a shed with very limited ventilation. Train doors aren't usually opened due to working at height but even if they were don't think this would improve airflow. Should this task be stopped? Or any solutions to help improve workers safety.... Regards
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2019 19:01:26(UTC)
RayRapp

As far as I'm aware rock salt is relatively harmless under normal use. You mention 'dust' as a potential hazard is this general detritus or are you referring to the rock salt residue? Either way I would have thought cleaners could wear a dust mask for respiratory protection. 

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2019 20:02:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

"From what I believe"? - seeing the activity is generally a pretty good place to start with all assessments

Industrial wet & dry vac?

Decking pressure washer?

Door jamb bars allowing the door to be held open by placing a temporary rail across the opening?

Entry platforms so that the access level is the same height as the floor of the carriage meaning no risk of falling to the floor?

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2019 20:02:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

"From what I believe"? - seeing the activity is generally a pretty good place to start with all assessments

Industrial wet & dry vac?

Decking pressure washer?

Door jamb bars allowing the door to be held open by placing a temporary rail across the opening?

Entry platforms so that the access level is the same height as the floor of the carriage meaning no risk of falling to the floor?

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2019 10:44:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Rock salt “dust” of itself is not harmful unless it occurs in a very high concentration (10 mg.m-3, as a TWA inhalable dust; or 4 mg.m-3 TWA)

Rock salt tends not to form that sort of dust (unless you are spraying brine or something)

Before you start trying to get people to wear RPE you need to see if they actually needs it. Then you need to select the right type of RPE and  get everybody face fit tested etc.

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2019 14:03:03(UTC)
Hsquared14

Am I being thick?  I thought you would have "train washes" like car washes?  I've seen them in railway yards as I've gone past them on the train.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2019 14:07:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Rock salt in the carriage from passengers shoes thanks to the station platform being gritted was my guess.

Then embedded in the vinvyl style flooring by all the foot traffic (and if its Northern Rail standing passengers)

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2019 14:07:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Rock salt in the carriage from passengers shoes thanks to the station platform being gritted was my guess.

Then embedded in the vinvyl style flooring by all the foot traffic (and if its Northern Rail standing passengers)

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 22 November 2019 14:47:28(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Like me for instance?