Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBBeacock  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2019 12:22:33(UTC)
NBBeacock

I have been asked to set up a form that can be sent out to contractors listing the things we require from them prior to them coming onto our site to carry out any works as well as informing them of any mandatory PPE that is required on our site. We currently ask for the basics i.e. RAMS, Training Certs for any plant and equipment and we try and get these in place 7 days before a job commences. I know there will be different things for different jobs, contracts etc. but wondered if there was any sort of standard that covers what we need.

We are a manufacturing company that works to BRC food grade standards so do have quite a few mandatory PPE requirements and can usually supply basic PPE i.e. bump cap, ear plugs etc. But need to make it clear that if we have a contractor using a MEWP to carry out any work they bring their own Hard Hat, harness etc and supply a relevant training cert which preferably complies with our 3 year site policy for refresher although I do realise that a lot of companies operate to the recomended 5 year and can alow that provided it is in their RAMS.

All above into consideration I am wondering if anyone has a standard form that they use that I could introduce that would also cover anything else that I should be asking for but haven't thought of. If anyone can help please could you email me at neilbeacock@skymark.co.uk or post a reply of anything I need to include so that I can compose a form myself.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2019 13:28:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would also ask for current valid insurance details/certificates - employer, public & products and where they are designing Professional Indemnity.

Waste carriers licence especially when you know they are under contract to remove any/all waste.

Edited by user 28 November 2019 15:01:33(UTC)  | Reason: Waste licence

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 02/12/2019(UTC), NBBeacock on 02/12/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2019 13:28:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would also ask for current valid insurance details/certificates - employer, public & products and where they are designing Professional Indemnity.

Waste carriers licence especially when you know they are under contract to remove any/all waste.

Edited by user 28 November 2019 15:01:33(UTC)  | Reason: Waste licence

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 02/12/2019(UTC), NBBeacock on 02/12/2019(UTC)
RayRapp  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2019 20:16:20(UTC)
RayRapp

I suggest including that a site induction will be provided prior to any contractors working on site, you might want to specificy time(s) and place. Vehicle parking arrangements. Will they need to sign in with security personnel, is a permit to work required?

I would also add that all accidents/incidents must be reported immediately and where appropriate an investigation report provided in 5 working days.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 02/12/2019(UTC)
neil88  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2019 01:15:23(UTC)
neil88

Originally Posted by: NBBeacock Go to Quoted Post

I have been asked to set up a form that can be sent out to contractors listing the things we require from them prior to them coming onto our site 

Assuming you are talking about significant scopes of work which are contracted out, then we apply the following:

At a high level, you should include some safety clauses along with your other T&C's that they will sign (confidentiality, intellectual property, termination, etc).  Usually your procurement department will send these out.

Rather than use a checklist like you have suggested, we send potential contractors a "HSE for Contractors document" which specifies in detail our site / company requirements.  This is sent to our Contractors during the bidding phase.   This enables them to conduct an analysis of our requirements vs. their normal practice and price accordingly.   For example, you may require a contractor to undertake a particular training course over and above normal legal requirements.

A kickoff meeting after contract award, but prior to mobilisation can clarify any outstanding actions.

periodic review during the duration of the contract can clarify adherance to your standard.

This is a fairly standard approach.  You can apply some thing similar, but scaled down for the small time / low risk contractors.

Here is an example  (found on google):

https://www.misc.com.my/media/2418/hse-requirements-for-contractors-rev3_sep-16.pdf

thanks 1 user thanked neil88 for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 02/12/2019(UTC)