Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tomstorey  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2019 12:10:06(UTC)
Tomstorey

We have a few sites where cars exit a building and we need to place a few bollards to prevent people turning too sharply and hitting the building.

I have been asked to settle an argument between two Directors over what colour they should be. One is insisting on blue with refelctive strips so they are more in keeping with company colours, the other says they should be orange like a traffic cone.

Im thinking they can be whatever colour we want as its not roadworks and car parks use black, stainless steel, white etc. 

Anyone got any thoughts on this, including any legislation?

Thanks

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2019 12:18:12(UTC)
Hsquared14

As they are not on the highway but on private property I think they can be any colour you like but they do need to be visible so that people don't hit them.  Pass that gem on to your directors, stand well back and watch them slug it out!!  BUT don't get drawn into their argument!

thanks 3 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 04/12/2019(UTC), CptBeaky on 04/12/2019(UTC), Kim Hedges on 10/12/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2019 13:39:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Fixed hazards in the workplace are normally marked yellow and black

Safety Signs & Signals Regulations http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l64.pdf

A local supermarket when it was built installed yellow bollards to segregate cars and pedestrians - some years ago when they went to do site maintenance they re-painted the bollards black.

This was swiftly followed by the attachment of three highly reflective bands to every bollard which apparently had nothing to do with the raft of bumper rash incidents which had sudenly occurred.

Edited by user 04 December 2019 13:41:56(UTC)  | Reason: hyperlink

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2019 13:39:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Fixed hazards in the workplace are normally marked yellow and black

Safety Signs & Signals Regulations http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l64.pdf

A local supermarket when it was built installed yellow bollards to segregate cars and pedestrians - some years ago when they went to do site maintenance they re-painted the bollards black.

This was swiftly followed by the attachment of three highly reflective bands to every bollard which apparently had nothing to do with the raft of bumper rash incidents which had sudenly occurred.

Edited by user 04 December 2019 13:41:56(UTC)  | Reason: hyperlink

Acorns  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2019 07:58:52(UTC)
Acorns

Whatever you do, please make them tall enough to be easily seen by the driver in SUV type veh otherwise you’ll just swop hitting a wall with hitting a bollard IMHO traditional bollard heights are great for PDRS. Cyclists, okay for driving forward but a waste of money & time and increased hazard otherwise
biker1  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2019 09:51:10(UTC)
biker1

If the aim is to protect the building, surely armco would be far better?

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Dazzling Puddock on 06/12/2019(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2019 10:38:21(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post

If the aim is to protect the building, surely armco would be far better?

It depends - you wouldn't normally put armco at doorways - wish I could attach photos on here so that I could show you what I mean.

achrn  
#8 Posted : 06 December 2019 09:55:31(UTC)
achrn

Black and yellow stripes, but that's just preference - they could be any colour you like.

The main issue is to make them really, really strong.  We have bollards on a corner which is our property but teh road turns sharply and passing vehicles cut the corner.  There's a step down, tapering from about 100mm to about 800mm, so we have a handrail along the edge to prevent pedestrians falling down it, and then we have a bollard at the end to protect the handrail from vehicles.  We lose the bollard and end of the parapet about once every couple of years to a HGV cutting the corner.  We've had solid fences, brick walls, steel post, concrete post, various different colour schemes, etc. The last time it was taken out some mastic temporarily dealing with a crack hadn't fully cured through yet - I was picking up rubble and it was still sticky.

The next step (I think) is one of those things like great bronze bells you see in the street sometimes.

Dazzling Puddock  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2019 10:05:22(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

How close is the egress point to to the fabric of the building as adding a bollard may further restrict the space available for exiting especially if you have identified the potential of hitting the building?

I would "pad" the wall with armco if space is tight.

Pait it any colour you want as it will be various car colours after a few years anyway!!

safetyamateur  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2019 14:46:34(UTC)
safetyamateur

Isn't the black/yellow proven to be the caution colours?

Not sure I agree with the 'whatever you want' 

achrn  
#11 Posted : 09 December 2019 10:31:06(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: safetyamateur Go to Quoted Post

Not sure I agree with the 'whatever you want' 

A bollard is not a warning, information, or instructional sign, so I remain of the opinion it can be whatever colour scheme you want.  Highway armco is not painted black and yellow, nor is the vast majority of bollards 'in the wild'.  On these premises I have armco protecting aircon units in a car park that's not painted at all (so it's galvanising-colour), some unpainted concrete bollards (so concretey-grey colour) and some white-painted steel bollards (at the moment - waiting for the next HGV to take them out).  I have some steel parapet alongside a vehicle ramp that's a sort of chocolatey-brown colour.

I prefer black-and-yellow for bollards, but I don't think there's any even recommended colour scheme in any statute, ACOP, or similarly regarded guidance.

CptBeaky  
#12 Posted : 09 December 2019 12:19:12(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: safetyamateur Go to Quoted Post

I think it is the diffference between "should" and "must". Probably should paint them a bright colour, but you don't have to.

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 09 December 2019 13:00:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

A bollard in the workplace is an obstruction - S.I. 1996 No 341 Schedule 1 Part V?

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 09 December 2019 13:00:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

A bollard in the workplace is an obstruction - S.I. 1996 No 341 Schedule 1 Part V?

Kim Hedges  
#15 Posted : 10 December 2019 01:07:04(UTC)
Kim Hedges

As has already been said, being private.........

That being said, people tend to expect signage and warnings in a certain colour scheme, if like me you are colour blind as well as autistic and dyslexic (there are lots of us like this), then company colour schemes might not be noticed or even seen. 

Yellow and Black for a bollard would probably stand out well.  A stainless steel crash strip on the edges of the building would also be be very visible, but if it was painted say light blue or red or green or brown - it would not be percieved as a warning and may actually not be seen at all. 

Perception is everything. 

chris42  
#16 Posted : 10 December 2019 13:40:45(UTC)
chris42

Black and yellow are the two colours with the greatest contrast to one another, which is why it is often used to warn. However, there is so much of it about you have to be careful it does not just blend into the background, depending why your background is. If you say your corporate colours are blue, then does the building have a lot of blue on it? and so a blue bollard would become camouflaged. It is a bit like high vis vests, workers have them, pedestrians have them even dogs seem to have them, everything is turning dayglo yellow and orange, soon the colour to wear to stand out will be black.

If they are hitting the entrance of the building why can you not put some high visibility marking on the building corner (you can get black / yellow corner protectors). If you have already tried this what makes you think they will see the bollard when they can’t see the building? just a thought.

Also, you can also get bendy bollards, for when the inevitable happens.

What sort of vehicle are you trying to warn?

Chris

7th time of trying a post a charm, ok perhaps 8th time

jesca  
#17 Posted : 19 February 2020 06:09:00(UTC)
jesca

I think theres no designated color for bollards Just use a thich and tall Bollards so they can easily see them avoid using cement bollards they worn out very easily 

Roundtuit  
#18 Posted : 19 February 2020 08:45:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/341/schedule/1/part/V/paragraph/1/made

1.    Signs for obstacles and dangerous locations

1.1. Places where there is a risk of colliding with obstacles, of falling or of objects falling should be marked with alternating yellow and black, or red and white stripes in built-up zones in the undertaking to which workers have access during their work.

1.2. The dimensions of the markings must be commensurate with the scale of the obstacle or dangerous location in question.

1.3. The yellow and black or red and white stripes must be at an angle of approximately 45° and of more or less equal size.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
JohnW on 19/02/2020(UTC), JohnW on 19/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 19 February 2020 08:45:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/341/schedule/1/part/V/paragraph/1/made

1.    Signs for obstacles and dangerous locations

1.1. Places where there is a risk of colliding with obstacles, of falling or of objects falling should be marked with alternating yellow and black, or red and white stripes in built-up zones in the undertaking to which workers have access during their work.

1.2. The dimensions of the markings must be commensurate with the scale of the obstacle or dangerous location in question.

1.3. The yellow and black or red and white stripes must be at an angle of approximately 45° and of more or less equal size.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
JohnW on 19/02/2020(UTC), JohnW on 19/02/2020(UTC)