Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bibbin  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2019 10:40:16(UTC)
Bibbin

Hello

We have a commercial kitchen and have in place a gas interlock for emergency shut off.   My query is that we have 2 means of access/egress to the kitchen, to activate the gas safety interlock, there is a an emergency switch on one of the means of access/egress.  However, it has been suggested that we provide a second switch at the other entrance.    Is this achievable?    The contractor we contacted is saying its not possible to do? 

Your advice would be very welcome.

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:09:49(UTC)
Hsquared14

It depends on what you actually want to do, we had a similar situation and were told we couldn't do it.  My response what we had was an electronic switch which operated a solenoid valve to shut off the gas and not an actual valve on the gas line that we operated manually so all we needed was another switch in another location.  If you have this sort of arrangement there is no reason why it can't be done.  You may have called in the wrong sort of contractor ie gas when what you really need is a good electrician. 

Holliday42333  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:36:22(UTC)
Holliday42333

An electronic switch just needs some additional wiring/components etc as Hsquared says.  Depending on the exact spec and scope of the gas supply I suppose you may need some kind of Functional Safety assessment (paul.skyrme will be along shortly with an answer I'm sure).

If it is a valve then more pipework and an additional valve would be needed, which might be ugly to retrofit, but not impossible.  A business I worked in 15 years(ish) ago had a development kitchen with a gas isolation valve at each of the two access/egress points in series.  The first valve fed to the second valve and the second valve led to the appliances.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:39:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post
You may have called in the wrong sort of contractor ie gas when what you really need is a good electrician.

An appropriately Gas-Safe qualified electrician for the task

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/media/1826/defining-the-commercial-id-card-work-categories.pdf

To me this task is safety related

Edited by user 06 December 2019 11:41:25(UTC)  | Reason: hyperlink to commercial cards

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:39:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

You may have called in the wrong sort of contractor ie gas when what you really need is a good electrician.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/media/1826/defining-the-commercial-id-card-work-categories.pdf

Edited by user 06 December 2019 11:41:25(UTC)  | Reason: hyperlink to commercial cards

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:59:29(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Exactly what I would have said if my PC hadn't decided to give me 15secs to quit all programmes before it did a forced shut down and reboot for a system update - DOH!

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2019 12:30:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

Our IT department is full of sadists updates start at one minute to quitting time :-(
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 06 December 2019 12:30:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

Our IT department is full of sadists updates start at one minute to quitting time :-(
paul.skyrme  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2019 16:34:57(UTC)
paul.skyrme

As if by magic...

I would say that to add a second e-stop button is more than possible.

Yes it is a safety related task, if it is electrical, then I don't see why gas safe registration is required because there is little or no electrical training, certainly not in safety systems as part of the gas safe registration requirements.

What you need is a good safety controls engineer to design the system based on what you have (if suitable) or specify an alternative.

To be honest, I've never heard the term "gas-safe qualified electrician" before, apart form in relation to an electrician who has gone off and trained in gas work also.  I know a few that have, and to be honest they don't really understand safety related control systems, they are more into domestic boilers and heating controls.

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2019 16:57:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Ok poor terminology - merely highlighting care needs to be taken with gas work and just letting an electrician loose to do "a bit of wiring" to existing equipment may not the best idea.

Commercial Catering is on the list of Gas Safe work cards.

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2019 16:57:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Ok poor terminology - merely highlighting care needs to be taken with gas work and just letting an electrician loose to do "a bit of wiring" to existing equipment may not the best idea.

Commercial Catering is on the list of Gas Safe work cards.

Bibbin  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2019 14:38:23(UTC)
Bibbin

Thank you everyone, its very nice to know that what I am requesting is not impossible.   :-)