Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aaron L  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2019 09:25:59(UTC)
Aaron L

Morning all,

I am wondering if anyone could assist?  My excavator drivers have their red CPCS card for over and under 10 tonne excavator and are required to lift items around site such as manhole covers, paving etc.  Lifting accessories are used, lift plans are in place, so on so forth.

Ive noticed their is an additional training on the market which is the CPCS Lifting with Excavators A59c course and was wondering if legally do they have to go on this course prior to using the excavator to lift or is this just seen as best practice?

They are experienced in lifting materials using a excavator. 

Thanks

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2019 09:48:06(UTC)
RayRapp

Morning Aaron,

Not sure what the current requirement is re lifting with excavators, but a company I worked for some years ago it was mandatory to have an excavator fitted with RCI and check valves. If my memory is correct excavators under 13T do not have these fitted.   

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2019 15:44:36(UTC)
HSSnail

Aaron

No one has to legally do any CPCS card for anything. The requirements under PUWER is that staff are trained – how you go about doing that is entirely up to you.  So if you are happy that these people are experienced and trained in lifting and doing it correctly then carry on. But if the worse should happen you have got to be able to justify that decision to the HSE and then if they don’t agree a Court of Law. So how would you like to be able to answer that? By telling them why you were working the way you were, or showing a 3rd party training card from an industry recommended competent body? I personally sleep easier knowing the plant operators in my organisation have a relevant CPSC card (or similar) to show I have tried to get them the correct training.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 11/12/2019(UTC), SJP on 11/12/2019(UTC)