Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fscott  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2019 14:45:17(UTC)
fscott

I've have searched and searched for this but cannot find an answer and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. As part of our review of control of welding fumes etc over the past few months we have installed the use of mobile extractors within our workshop but sometimes our work takes means that the extractors on it's own isn't enough (e.g when welding stainless, aluminium or galv steels) or when we are carrying out work outdoors it means that our welders have to use air fed masks (ours are 3M Adflo systems) as well as or as an alternative to the extractors. We have set up and record regular maintenance checks/component changes for the air fed masks in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions but do these require an annual examination/service by competent persons similar to the thorough examination of the LEV units under COSHH? If this is a requirement can someone point me in the direction of the legislation/guidance that tells me this?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2019 15:14:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Only LEV as an engineering control requires an LEV inspection - so fixed or mobile units would need testing.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2677/regulation/9/made

RPE requires training, maintenance and suitable storage - annual inspection by a competent person is not a regulated requirement.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
fscott on 11/12/2019(UTC), fscott on 11/12/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2019 15:14:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Only LEV as an engineering control requires an LEV inspection - so fixed or mobile units would need testing.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2677/regulation/9/made

RPE requires training, maintenance and suitable storage - annual inspection by a competent person is not a regulated requirement.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
fscott on 11/12/2019(UTC), fscott on 11/12/2019(UTC)
fscott  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2019 15:19:50(UTC)
fscott

Thank you @Roundtuit you have confirmed what I had found but I just wanted to make sure.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2019 16:00:13(UTC)
chris42

You do need to do monthly thorough examination, and it should be done by a competent person and records kept, as below with my making text bold to stand out. Up to you to decide if that person is internal or external, but not annual.

Chris

From the regulations noted above

(3) Where respiratory protective equipment (other than disposable respiratory protective equipment) is provided to meet the requirements of regulation 7, the employer shall ensure that thorough examination and, where appropriate, testing of that equipment is carried out at suitable intervals.

From the HSG53

90 Maintenance is a requirement for all RPE, except for disposable (single use) RPE,

and should be carried out by properly trained personnel. Thorough maintenance,

examination and tests should be carried out at least once a month. However, if the

RPE is used only occasionally, an examination and test should be carried out before

use and, in any event, the interval should not exceed three months. Emergency

escape-type RPE should be examined and tested in accordance with the

manufacturer’s instructions.

91 There are five key points you should follow when carrying out RPE maintenance:

■ Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

A competent person should carry out the work.

■ Keep records (see Figure 7 for an example).

■ Ensure the intervals for maintenance are appropriate.

■ The maintenance programme should reflect the complexity of maintaining the

RPE.

fscott  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2019 16:09:24(UTC)
fscott

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

You do need to do monthly thorough examination, and it should be done by a competent person and records kept, as below with my making text bold to stand out. Up to you to decide if that person is internal or external, but not annual.

Chris

From the regulations noted above

(3) Where respiratory protective equipment (other than disposable respiratory protective equipment) is provided to meet the requirements of regulation 7, the employer shall ensure that thorough examination and, where appropriate, testing of that equipment is carried out at suitable intervals.

From the HSG53

90 Maintenance is a requirement for all RPE, except for disposable (single use) RPE,

and should be carried out by properly trained personnel. Thorough maintenance,

examination and tests should be carried out at least once a month. However, if the

RPE is used only occasionally, an examination and test should be carried out before

use and, in any event, the interval should not exceed three months. Emergency

escape-type RPE should be examined and tested in accordance with the

manufacturer’s instructions.

91 There are five key points you should follow when carrying out RPE maintenance:

■ Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

A competent person should carry out the work.

■ Keep records (see Figure 7 for an example).

■ Ensure the intervals for maintenance are appropriate.

■ The maintenance programme should reflect the complexity of maintaining the

RPE.

Thanks Chris.  If I'm honest this was more like what I expected to find.  I'll have a closer look at HSG53 and look at best way to go about it.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2019 16:25:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

The "competent person" for  RPE is not necessarily the same competent person as for LEV.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 11 December 2019 16:25:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

The "competent person" for  RPE is not necessarily the same competent person as for LEV.

fscott  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2019 16:46:54(UTC)
fscott

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

I appreciate that.  I will do some research into what would be considered "competent" in this respect and see what would work best for us.  If it's not too difficult to get someone the appropriate training etc it might be worthwhile training up someone internally to carry out these examinations but more investigation definitely required.