Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frank1970  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2019 09:14:49(UTC)
Frank1970

What is the most traditional, and acceptable, method to get bricks and blocks onto a scaffold these days please?

We've been picked up by a Principal Contractor for passing up brick and blocks to the first lift simply by offering them up by hand and passing them through the toe baord and guard rail - what's the problem?

I can see that more mechanical methods should be adopted, i.e. telehandler, hoist with a brick basket, or tile/ brick bumpa - but wouldn't a gin wheel suffice?

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2019 09:34:29(UTC)
RayRapp

There are a number of different mechanical ways to lift bricks onto a scaffold. The purpose of the exercise is to reduce manual handling as much as possible and is generally a safer method - simples. Which one you choose depends on economic and ergonomic factors.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Dazzling Puddock on 13/12/2019(UTC)
biker1  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2019 14:04:05(UTC)
biker1

Back in the days when I worked on building sites, we used a hod that was carried on the shoulder, or a hoist if we were fortunate enough to have one. Really don't know whether either method is considered acceptable these days.

Holliday42333  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2019 17:12:23(UTC)
Holliday42333

Surely a brick Bumpa (conveyor) would pay for its hire very quickly due to increased efficiency before you even look at the safety benefits

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 16/12/2019(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2019 23:11:49(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Frank1970, your P.C. probably expects you to realize that lifting bricks and blocks up requires more manual handling than required - when other methods are on the market.  This is because the bricks and blocks (whatever the wieght) require lifting, twisting and sometimes jerking the load to the desired platform. 

The bumpa (conveyor) works, seen it on a few sites, also good for tiles, depends on your contract. 

Me, I'm a slinger, so I tend to use cranes with brick forks (or blocks) with a net or a crane lifting skip for loose bricks, that the brickies can scoop out of the skip and stack.  

Neil P  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2019 11:05:37(UTC)
Neil P

Hi Frank,

My experience is that, on larger construction sites with good access, scaffolding will integrate loading bays so that blocks, bricks and tiles can be loaded onto the scaffold with a telehandler. This is usually organised by the PC.

On smaller sites where access is poor, a BUMPA hoist is the best option as they are quite portable and can be manovered to the desired position. You will want to have the blocks dropped as close to the loading area as possible to further reduce manual handling.

Hope this helps, Neil.

thanks 1 user thanked Neil P for this useful post.
SJP on 20/12/2019(UTC)
boblewis  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2019 14:28:03(UTC)
boblewis

I presume the scaffolding was erected on an order from the PC . In which case you are entitled to ask him how he intended the loading to take place. It is always best that the first lift is a half lift and early loading by hand is perfectly acceptable above this height loading bays need to be constructed for telehandler, hoist or crane. The latter are however hard to manage to ensure that the erection programme of the loading bays can be managed