Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LouiseSmith88  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2020 12:00:58(UTC)
LouiseSmith88

Good morning all - im after some advice.

I have an employee who had a car accident whilst driving on work time, travelling back from visiting a customer site - he and his passenger were thankfully not hurt, but unfortunatly the driver has now been diagnosed with PTSD on the back of the accident, although has made it into work ontime ever since and we have already taken measures to support him with a vehicle to aid his commute temporarily.  The employee has already a known history of suffering with mental helath and anxiety issues, but at present none of these have been identified as work related. 

Would you consider this a case for Occ Health, given he is already under his GP for the PTSD - i have regular weekly catch ups with him and he tells me about the therapy and medication that they are using to treat him - he is an office based worker and we are in the logistics indutry - im wondering if the occ health assessment is really practicable given he is already under GP care which we are managing one on one with the individual?Any advice greatly appreciated!Thank you

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2020 12:21:34(UTC)
HSSnail

I have always been told that in situations like this the person should only be seeing one “councillor” for want of a better word to prevent confusion and conflict. I would run it past your Occ Health provider and see what they say – but I’m guessing they will turn them away on the basis of what you have said.
thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
LouiseSmith88 on 14/01/2020(UTC)
Zyggy  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2020 12:24:14(UTC)
Zyggy

Louise, I would say yes. A referral to an OH doctor or nurse would concentrate the issue in a work related manner which most times a GP is unable to do. However, just one caveat, make sure that you are very specific in the questions you ask the OH professional & not just refer them for the sake of it.
thanks 2 users thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
jwk on 08/01/2020(UTC), LouiseSmith88 on 14/01/2020(UTC)
Dave5705  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2020 13:39:34(UTC)
Dave5705

Hello Louise.

How does the injured party feel about it?

Have you any concerns about his/her ability to perform their role without furtherance of the condition(s) or putting anyone else at risk?

Have you ascertained if there is any other reason why the person has not taken time off, other than that they don't feel they need to? (be careful it isn't presenteeism?)

It sounds on the face of it that you are already making excellent choices but as with any mental health issue, once you know about it your duty is to manage it.

Why not ask the IP if they are happy for you to ring OH to ask their advice? At this stage, personally, I would only involve OH if your IP wishes it. Explore if they feel that work is the best place for them; it may be that they value the work, company, activity or distraction. Explain you would like to help them stay at work if that is what they want. Best to get signed approval, even if you are not at this stage going for a referral, and get their approval again if you decide to refer. 

thanks 3 users thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 08/01/2020(UTC), lorna on 10/01/2020(UTC), LouiseSmith88 on 14/01/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2020 16:19:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post
I have always been told that in situations like this the person should only be seeing one “councillor” for want of a better word to prevent confusion and conflict. I would run it past your Occ Health provider and see what they say – but I’m guessing they will turn them away on the basis of what you have said.

I think that is this situation the role of the OH adviser is not to treat the person with the PTSD but to identify what the organisation can reasonably do to help them manage it. What Dave says is right; someone should be talking to the person with PTSD. They have the diagnosis (which is the first hurdle) then actions can be taken to help them.  

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 08/01/2020(UTC), SJP on 09/01/2020(UTC), LouiseSmith88 on 14/01/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2020 08:19:32(UTC)
stevedm

...morning all..I would agree with AK to a point...PTSD in the workplace involves a lot more than just individual councelling it involves the whole environment around that person...so although yes there is a referral role there is also one of cocordination of the entire effort to assist in the management of the individual...I deal with first responders who have responded to major events such as bombings and IEDs...so my main point is that it is a combination of efforts...also you should be commended for seeking to assit this person as some companies I have worked with in the past (Mainly US I might add) just say man up... some other more personal advice I can give you is that I have found that comedy or having a laugh does actually help...but good education of the workforce surrounding the person..oerhaps as part of a wider mental health campaign will also set the stage for that persons recovery...

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
LouiseSmith88 on 14/01/2020(UTC), Dave5705 on 14/01/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2020 08:36:40(UTC)
stevedm

Yu may also be aware of these links but there is the mindfull employer which has some helpful resources..

https://www.dpt.nhs.uk/mindful-employer

The NHS mental health adjustments guide

https://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/images/library/files/Government%20policy/Mental_Health_Adjustments_Guidance_May_2012.pdf

I have also found Mind as a useful source of information..

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/about-ptsd/?o=14567#.Xh19asj7SUk

I hope this helps let me know how you get on... :)

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
LouiseSmith88 on 14/01/2020(UTC), Dave5705 on 14/01/2020(UTC)