Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KateG  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2020 11:07:16(UTC)
KateG

Hi everyone,  I would like to share with you ideas for Safety Day activities for production companies.  From me side the most attractive were:  - competition station with a wheel of fortune plus gadgets - manual handling for production and office workers - practical testing of PPE ( safety shoes. protective helmets, anti-cut gloves - chemicals puzzles and examples of home chemistry

If you are interested i can write more about these stations.  Could you share your the most interactive, easy to do activities which can be used for Safety Day? 

Thank you for discussion 

Kate

MrBrightside  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2020 09:32:01(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi Kate,

Might have to pinch some of those ideas, anything with gadgets is always a winner.

I do one on hazard spotting  - bit like spot the ball in the old days, where by those who find the most and come up with a control for each get entered into a draw.

Mental Health has also been a big focus - I work in Construction and use the Mates look out for Mates to try and break down some of those barriers.

thanks 1 user thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
KateG on 21/01/2020(UTC)
KateG  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2020 16:40:16(UTC)
KateG

Thanks for sharing. Gadgets is still good idea to attract people ;-). 

Could You write sth more about Mental Health. Sorry but i do not uderstand clearly what you wrote. How to connect it with Safety Day ;-)

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2020 18:53:15(UTC)
peter gotch

Kate, if you made it a Health and Safety Day it would be much easier to push the mental health angle.

Assuming you are in the UK, the adverse impacts of occupational health risks are vastly greater than those associated with accidents - doesn't matter what indicator you use e.g. lost time or socio-economic costs.

Therefore if you run a Safety Day, you are in danger of missing the majority of the problem of occupational health and safety.

Now, I know that you could use the holistic argument that Safety includes Health, but the reality is that the UK and most of elsewhere still gives far too little focus to the Occupational Health issues.

I wrote "most of elsewhere" as we in the UK have much to learn from what people are doing in some other places on OH issues.

RVThompson  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2020 08:18:52(UTC)
RVThompson

At a previous company we ran a similar event some years ago and invited external suppliers and service providers onsite. we set up a room and tables - the usual stuff.

Our Occ Health advisor arranged for some health surveillance awareness, and physiotherapy instruction. I arranged for PPE suppliers, and basically anyone who would come and give their time for free (our budget was very low). The local Fire Service also came and demonstrated smoke alarms for domestic homes, answered questions, etc.

It can be helpful sometimes to link home and work to get 'buy-in' from the workforce.

Edited by user 22 January 2020 08:19:58(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

KateG  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2020 13:40:30(UTC)
KateG

Thanks for sharing. I agree that we should not forget about health issues during Safety Day. 

It is called Safety Day but there will manual handling training (due to ergonomy issues). We will have station about chemicals at home&work (CLP, puzzles and examples of chemistry bottles). PPE station with external suppliers is also OK. 

At the moment I am looking for attractions that will be funny for participants. We want to warm up the image of the Health and Safety department. We had fortune wheel with questions&answear game (of course concerning HSE). 

Have you seen any funny HSE games&activities which could be used on Safety Day? ;-)