Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CptBeaky  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2020 13:35:29(UTC)
CptBeaky

I work in a factory with 85 men and 5 women across all departments. Recently we had a drain blockage putting one set of toilets out of action for 2 days. This led to much discussion about adequate number of facilities. It was the usual, with people pulling HSE "law" out of their orifices, despite me giving them facts. (for the record it meant that for the men (which I count sperately since they are the vast majority of the workforce) we were down to 5 stalls and 4 urinals, still above the ACOP of 4 and 3. Normally we have 9 stalls and 4 urinals.

The arguement then went onto what would we do if the blockage wiped out the next stalls down on the drainage system (leaving us with 2 stalls and 4 urinals). I admitted that I wasn't sure.

So given that they were down for 2 days, but we still had some facilities available, would we have had to make alternative arrangements, or  even limit the number of people at work? We do have a ladies block with 3 more stalls, and a disabled toilet (locked with the key upstairs!), so I could have worked something out. However I would prefer to have this gap in my knowledge filled. Any ideas? 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2020 14:04:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

The guidance assumes everything is in working order - you will note there is no caveat for "just in case".

There will always be exceptional circumstances e.g. I worked at one company where the toilets (located in a lean too arrangement) regularly froze at the first hint of winter reminding us to put on the trace heating and spend the next couple of hours defrosting the lines.

Your situation sounds as though there is enough existing provision for the current circumstance.

Then consider that to rent portable toilets you would need to set up an account, place an order, arrange delivery and locate on site - not a same day fix particularly when using plumbed rather than chemical units.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 17/01/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 17/01/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2020 14:04:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

The guidance assumes everything is in working order - you will note there is no caveat for "just in case".

There will always be exceptional circumstances e.g. I worked at one company where the toilets (located in a lean too arrangement) regularly froze at the first hint of winter reminding us to put on the trace heating and spend the next couple of hours defrosting the lines.

Your situation sounds as though there is enough existing provision for the current circumstance.

Then consider that to rent portable toilets you would need to set up an account, place an order, arrange delivery and locate on site - not a same day fix particularly when using plumbed rather than chemical units.

CptBeaky on 17/01/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 17/01/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2020 08:59:02(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

That is what I thought, but I don't like to lead a discussion. Thanks for the confirmation.

Gasman  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2020 14:04:50(UTC)
Gasman

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Hi, Just wondering what "Lean too arrangement" is?

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2020 15:10:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

too many o's (usual FFS) a toilet facility external to the main building covered with a thin roof leaning to the main building from an external wall.

So as you can summise not the best facilities in the midst of winter - now long since demolished 

Gasman on 20/01/2020(UTC), Gasman on 20/01/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 20 January 2020 15:10:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

too many o's (usual FFS) a toilet facility external to the main building covered with a thin roof leaning to the main building from an external wall.

So as you can summise not the best facilities in the midst of winter - now long since demolished 

Gasman on 20/01/2020(UTC), Gasman on 20/01/2020(UTC)