Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dennispollard  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2020 10:09:31(UTC)
dennispollard

I have been asked to produce RAMS for a Low-Level Powered Access (Scissor Lift), in my opinion the staff would require some form of formal training such as IPAF to operate these. i contacted the plant hire company and they stated i quote “The lift on the attachment is a push around scissor you do not need any competencies to operate that bit of kit, If it was electric you would need a IPAF Ticket”

In my opinion the Low-Level Powered Access (Scissor Lift) is still powered by electric to go us and down and the risks that are involved are the same as any other larger scissor lift, am I right in thinking that my staff should have some form of training?

Blackburn31728  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2020 10:19:51(UTC)
Blackburn31728

Level of training required

MEWP Mobile Elevated Working Platforms classified by IPAF as follows:

1a Static Vertical

1b Static Boom

3a/3a+ Mobile Vertical

3b/3b+ Self Propelled Boom

Push Around Vertical (PAV)

And/or classified by CPCS as follows:

A25 Mobile Elevated Work Platform – Scissor

A26 Mobile Elevated Work Platform – Boom

A27 Mobile Elevated Work Platform – Mast Climber

thanks 1 user thanked Blackburn31728 for this useful post.
dennispollard on 17/01/2020(UTC)
dennispollard  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2020 15:51:56(UTC)
dennispollard

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

Level of training required

MEWP Mobile Elevated Working Platforms classified by IPAF as follows:

1a Static Vertical

1b Static Boom

3a/3a+ Mobile Vertical

3b/3b+ Self Propelled Boom

Push Around Vertical (PAV)

And/or classified by CPCS as follows:

A25 Mobile Elevated Work Platform – Scissor

A26 Mobile Elevated Work Platform – Boom

A27 Mobile Elevated Work Platform – Mast Climber

Thanks, I just wanted to double check and i was right in thining they needed training 

Gasman  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2020 15:40:03(UTC)
Gasman

Originally Posted by: dennispollard Go to Quoted Post

I have been asked to produce RAMS for a Low-Level Powered Access (Scissor Lift), in my opinion the staff would require some form of formal training such as IPAF to operate these. i contacted the plant hire company and they stated i quote “The lift on the attachment is a push around scissor you do not need any competencies to operate that bit of kit, If it was electric you would need a IPAF Ticket”

In my opinion the Low-Level Powered Access (Scissor Lift) is still powered by electric to go us and down and the risks that are involved are the same as any other larger scissor lift, am I right in thinking that my staff should have some form of training?

PUWER applies here, you are providing staff with new equipment and the employer must ensure staff are trained and competent in its use.