Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rsherl01  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2020 00:05:37(UTC)
rsherl01

One of the things I’ve always been told by H&S practitioners is that you don’t need to provide Manual Handling training if the job doesn’t involve Manual Handling. No one can give me an example of one of these jobs as of yet though. Anyone in here any idea of a job that doesn’t involve Manual Handling?
chris.packham  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2020 07:42:45(UTC)
chris.packham

I think this depends very much on how you define manual handling. After all, in the strictest sense lifting a file in the office and taking it to your desk is manual handling. On could approach this from the health and safety aspect. When does the particular activity present a potential for some adverse effect to result? If so, then is it of sufficient significance that action is needed?

O'Donnell54548  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2020 08:09:51(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Manual handling is defined as "lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling or supporting a load by bodily force". So the answer to your question is NO there is nom job which has no manual handling.

If a task requires MH training is a different question, and should be answered using a training needs analysis.

thanks 1 user thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 21/01/2020(UTC)
MaxPayne  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2020 08:31:39(UTC)
MaxPayne

Proportionality is the key thing here and I'd guess is what the advice provided to you initially really meant; big risk = big effort and so on.

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2020 23:05:45(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I'm still looking. 

CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2020 09:38:39(UTC)
CptBeaky

I have never seen Alan Suger so much as open a door by himself. It seems the answer may be to be rich!

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2020 09:48:31(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Q: Is there a job that does not involve some manual handling?

A: Unlikely

Q: Is there a job where the manual handling involved is not a significant risk and once you have confirmed that you don’t really need to do much about it

A: Loads

Q: are there jobs where the manual handling element is hidden, and not obvious? Where rather than lifting big loads the issue is lots of repeated actions which of themselves are not a big deal but if you do them repeatedly, under time pressure with no recovery, they become a problem?

A: Yes you would be surprised how often this happens.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
SJP on 23/01/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:29:17(UTC)
chris42

A Life model for an art class

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 22/01/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 22/01/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:54:43(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

You have to take your clothes off.  If someone is arguing to the extremes as the thread implies, those garments are a load that needs lifting.

I think the heaviest load my main job requires is pushing the keyboard across the desk.  I read stuff (on screen), talk to people on teh phone, think about it, then write stuff (on computer) and email it to people.  The heaviest load I handle while at my main task at work is probably a full coffee mug, but that's not 'in connection with work'.  I used to pick up a phone handset occasionally, but the headset I use now is lighter than the full coffee mug.  I used to read from paper, so occasionally carried sometimes dozens of sheets of paper from a printer to my desk, but that doesn't happen now.  If I was doing that part of my job full time, I wouldn't do any Manual Handling.

Financial market traders just press buttons.  Computer programmers just press buttons. Call centre operators just press buttons and talk.

If you want to be such a pedant that even I think it's pedantic, every job includes manual handling.  I think a very large number of jobs do not entail Manual Handling as anticipated to require controls or training in any guidance or regulations.

WatsonD  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2020 12:53:10(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

You have to take your clothes off.  If someone is arguing to the extremes as the thread implies, those garments are a load that needs lifting.

Surely you take your clothes off before starting work.

CptBeaky  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2020 13:03:05(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Surely you take your clothes off before starting work.

That could be an interesting commute!

A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 23 January 2020 13:09:45(UTC)
A Kurdziel

TILE applies at all-times ie the size and shape of your package.