Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tomkins26432  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2020 09:52:55(UTC)
Tomkins26432

HSE Advice volunteers need to sign a statement every day to say they have received suitable safety training. I work for a Wildlife Trust where we pride ourselves on our safe record and good H&S practices, however our Chief Executive has been informed by a Chief Executive of a similar charity that they were told by the HSE that they ‘strongly advise all volunteers to sign prior to every event to confirm they have received suitable safety training.” This sounds absurd to me. Any thoughts?

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:03:58(UTC)
CptBeaky

Can't see the point beyond a paper trail. It will not exonerate anybody should an acident happen. The company will still need to prove the training was sufficient, the candidate had understood the training and that other control measures were suitable.

I suppose it may help focus the volunteers' minds, if they feel the duty of care has been handed over to them (even if it hasn't)

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 22/01/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:04:10(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Did the “Chief Executive of a similar charity” ask the HSE why? Or was he/she the sort of retiring, quiet CEO who says nothing and just nods?

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 22/01/2020(UTC), ttxela on 23/01/2020(UTC), Kate on 26/01/2020(UTC)
Tomkins26432  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:13:54(UTC)
Tomkins26432

It's a difficult situation, I don't know the original CE, I do know mine wants to be on the right side of safety. But as with so many rules that are imposed from 'above' the ramifications are intense; we have volunteer admin officers, do they sign to say they have an office safetey induction every day? My CE wants me to get a definitive answer from HSE, can't see that happening.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:45:57(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Basically it’s down to risk assessment (as ever). What do the volunteers do?  What sort of training do they require? If it recorded and even better assessed they should not really need a daily refresher.  As they are volunteers I assume any training that they are given is very specific to the activities that they are taking part in and it is unlikely that they will forget something overnight, if they have been doing it all day.   What you might need to look at is supervision: someone needs to keep an eye on them and make sure that they actually follow their training. This is more useful than making them retake the training.

Edited by user 22 January 2020 10:46:42(UTC)  | Reason: spelings

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:54:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

Yes it is a paper trail but it is also a prompt for the controlling mind - what is different today compared to yesterday that people need to be aware of? IMHO I would say that this is dependent upon the nature of the volunteering and the relevant risks involved e.g. garden volunteers versus cleaning a canal basin

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:54:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

Yes it is a paper trail but it is also a prompt for the controlling mind - what is different today compared to yesterday that people need to be aware of? IMHO I would say that this is dependent upon the nature of the volunteering and the relevant risks involved e.g. garden volunteers versus cleaning a canal basin

jwk  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2020 11:12:52(UTC)
jwk

Hi Tomkins,

My most recent two jobs are and have been with two of the highest profile charities in the UK: household names and then some. My previous organisation in particular relied on volunteers carrying out First Aid & emergency relief work. We did (and do not) ask volunteers to attest to their training before every event. We did (and do) have a record of the H&S training our volunteers have received, but as previous posters have indicated, being able to demonstrate that somebody's body was present in a training session would only be a part of a defence. I would advise against signing for every event; after all, you're a wildlife charity, save paper spare trees?

John

Edited by user 22 January 2020 11:16:02(UTC)  | Reason: The uuasl

thanks 3 users thanked jwk for this useful post.
Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), SJP on 23/01/2020(UTC)
HSSnail  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2020 12:52:05(UTC)
HSSnail

“HSE Advice volunteers need to sign a statement every day to say they have received suitable safety training”

Can someone point to where the HSE give that advice? Just looked on HSE site and cannot see it (did not spend long I know).

Never seen this before and as others have said how would a volunteer know what’s suitable?  Im volunteering to be your traffic marshal at a charity event – I have my Tufty badge (Older colleagues will understand younger colleagues may need google!) so that’s OK I take it?

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
jwk on 22/01/2020(UTC), Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Tomkins26432  
#10 Posted : 22 January 2020 13:10:12(UTC)
Tomkins26432

Thanks, yes, this is the issue. The requirement apparently was given to the specific organisation by a HSE Inspector. The CEO passed it on as a definate requirement as fars as HSE were concerned.

Mick72  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2020 15:51:40(UTC)
Mick72

Would a briefing given at the start of the days volunteering that includes tool box talks on the relevant risks and dangers by a competent person and signed to show understanding suffice?

thanks 2 users thanked Mick72 for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), SJP on 23/01/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 22 January 2020 15:56:47(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The HSE follow the law (or at least they are supposed to). Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work Act explains what duties employer have to non-employee including volunteers.

It states in section 3(3):

In such cases as may be prescribed, it shall be the duty of every employer and every self-employed person, in the prescribed circumstances and in the prescribed manner, to give to persons (not being his employees) who may be affected by the way in which he conducts his undertaking the prescribed information about such aspects of the way in which he conducts his undertaking as might affect their health or safety.

Nowhere does it say that, “volunteers need to sign a statement every day to say they have received suitable safety training.”  In fact I’d go further nowhere in any piece of Health and Safety legislation does it say that anybody has to sign anything to confirm anything- not training records not risk assessment not anything. Health and Safety don’t do signing!

thanks 4 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Gasman on 22/01/2020(UTC), Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), SJP on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Gasman  
#13 Posted : 22 January 2020 17:38:13(UTC)
Gasman

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

The HSE follow the law (or at least they are supposed to). Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work Act explains what duties employer have to non-employee including volunteers.

It states in section 3(3):

In such cases as may be prescribed, it shall be the duty of every employer and every self-employed person, in the prescribed circumstances and in the prescribed manner, to give to persons (not being his employees) who may be affected by the way in which he conducts his undertaking the prescribed information about such aspects of the way in which he conducts his undertaking as might affect their health or safety.

Nowhere does it say that, “volunteers need to sign a statement every day to say they have received suitable safety training.”  In fact I’d go further nowhere in any piece of Health and Safety legislation does it say that anybody has to sign anything to confirm anything- not training records not risk assessment not anything. Health and Safety don’t do signing!

Agree with you (Here comes the but) , But what about your duties to manage H&S in the workplace? Surely training and records are fine, but not being able to prove person X received training Y via a signature may be a cause for concern in terms of the judges eyes if a person X was to be injured and claimed comp. I may be missing something, but how else can you prove a person has read and understood a risk assessment without a signature from them agreeing to follow the controls etc? 

The regs don't state you must sign anything, but then what stops a unscrupulous company claiming staff received training and RAMS? A few weeks ago there was an article in the Daily Mail ( Link was sent to me I dont read that ^&(^$(&) Basically a company boss fudged documents following a workers deathand was found out. 

thanks 1 user thanked Gasman for this useful post.
RayRapp  
#14 Posted : 22 January 2020 17:58:50(UTC)
RayRapp

It smacks of a back covering exercise to me, dreamed up by some jobsworth who knows nowt about health and safety and the law. 

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 22 January 2020 18:20:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

A signature proves a mark was made - nothing more, nothing less

Even more so with PDA/electronic signatures

A witnessed signature on the other hand.....
thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), ttxela on 23/01/2020(UTC), Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), ttxela on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 22 January 2020 18:20:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), ttxela on 23/01/2020(UTC), Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC), Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), ttxela on 23/01/2020(UTC)
Zyggy  
#17 Posted : 23 January 2020 08:12:10(UTC)
Zyggy

Just to throw a spanner in the works regarding the need for signatures.

I was involved in a Court case where training records were being used by the Defence; the IP was shown the record & promptly declared that it was not his signature!

thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#18 Posted : 23 January 2020 10:45:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

... provides the names of witnesses who saw the mark being made.

Still does not prove that whatever text surrounding it is applicable e.g. I have read and understood...., I acknowledge receipt of......

Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 23 January 2020 10:45:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

... provides the names of witnesses who saw the mark being made.

Still does not prove that whatever text surrounding it is applicable e.g. I have read and understood...., I acknowledge receipt of......

Tomkins26432  
#20 Posted : 23 January 2020 10:52:34(UTC)
Tomkins26432

Thanks All - very helpful and supportive.

A Kurdziel  
#21 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:25:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The law does not require signatures as unscrupulous bosses (they exist!) can fake signatures or just tell people to sign for non-existent training etc.  Not saying that signatures are a waste of time but we spend too much time getting people to sign bits of paper. In the case of volunteers the key thing is to unsure that they have adequate supervision, if the people are just office based then getting them to redo the induction everyday and sign off it is sooo..over the top.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
ttxela  
#22 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:35:27(UTC)
ttxela

I can understand someone might want a record that the volunteer had received training but how could the volunteer be expected to know if it was 'suitable'? Surely the point of training is that it provides information the attendee doesn't already know? If a volunteer attends a session to clear undergrowth and receives training on the safe use of the tools involved, correct use of PPE etc. they may well judge it suitable until they get to site and find themselves doing it on a cliff edge that wasn't mentioned.......

thanks 2 users thanked ttxela for this useful post.
Tomkins26432 on 23/01/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 23/01/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#23 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:37:32(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

There's quite a lot we do that isn't explicitly required in legislation, but follows from legislation or is intended to demonstrate that we did follow the legislation.

In some contexts it is routine to have a daily briefing - work on or near the railway line, for example, typically requires a briefing and a signing (which generally includes a declaration that the worker is adequately briefed and trained) every shift.  I expect to sign for a briefing every time I go on or near the line.

If charity A's volunteers are doing something like wielding chainsaws and large sharp-bladed things (say), a daily signing-on that includes adecalration of training might be approriate.  If charity B's volunteers are putting individual sheets of paper in filing cabinets, they probably needn't sign for training daily.  In that case, both the one that says a daily signing is appropriate and the one that says it's not would be correct.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
ttxela  
#24 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:51:53(UTC)
ttxela

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Very true, I sign numerous things each day that I do not read. I would not survive if I did. My decision to read, skim read, or just sign is based on the purpose of the document, it's source, the likely implications and how often that document or a variant of it has passed across my desk before. Were I to be sent out onto a riverbank to wield chainsaws in close proximity to strangers I suspect I would pay attention in the training briefing, after a month of doing so and receiving the same briefing each morning perhaps less so.....

Kim Hedges  
#25 Posted : 26 January 2020 22:34:06(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I was a volunteer in the 2014 Somerset floods, when we first started 'they' didn't have any safety awareness (until I got involved a bit later), when I gave it up 6 months later, everybody signed in and out, just in case we lost somebody to the flood waters. 

Kate  
#26 Posted : 28 January 2020 12:27:59(UTC)
Kate

My local environmental charity gives volunteers a safety briefing before participating in activities such as hedge maintenance.  We are given relevant sensible advice, shown how to use the tools, and not asked to sign for anything.  When I confessed what my job was, I complimented them on the proportionate approach they took.