Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markva44  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2020 15:03:01(UTC)
markva44

Hi, i have my iosh certificate, i recently passed a level 3 occupational heath and safety diploma which took a year. I have 2 nvqs in heaath and safety.

Would these qualifications help me towards a Tech iosh recognition?

Part of my job is doing heath and safety ror transport and i am always involved in risk assessments, safe systems of work and accident investigations, verifiable. 

If not what else would i need please

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2020 13:10:48(UTC)
Bigmac1

In short, Yes.

However just phone IOSH and they will tell you. If it a level 3 then that is a NEBOSH Cert equivalent. They will take TUC diplomas etc into consideration.

George_Young  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2020 13:18:20(UTC)
George_Young

I think it will also depend on the amount of experience you have.

Many years ago when I was TechIOSH you had to have relevant qualifications and two years experience within health and safety.

markva44  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2020 16:43:52(UTC)
markva44

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I will call IOSH.

The company i work for, i have been actively involved in heath and safety for the past 3 years.  As i had the IOSH i was asked to get more involved and they gave me the time to do the diploma and NVQs.

I was adviced by a senior h&s company trainer to do my nebosh, i tried to explain that the route i have taken with IOSH, diploma and the NVQs i have learnt more variety than just the Nebosh. I was told if i want to get anywhere i must consider getting my Nebosh which i dont fully agree.

Any thoughts please?

George_Young  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2020 08:46:56(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: markva44 Go to Quoted Post
I was told if i want to get anywhere i must consider getting my Nebosh which i dont fully agree. Any thoughts please?
To a degree he is right as a lot of old school professionals and organisations swear by NEBOSH, however times have changed and more people are now opening up and accepting NCRQ, NVQ, etc. I have had interviews solely based on having the NCRQ diploma. But remember, it’s not the qualification that defines the person but more how we maintain and use our skills, as I dare say that there are many H&S professionals without qualifications who can out preform those with NEBOSH.
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2020 11:10:25(UTC)
peter gotch

Mark

Is this "senior company H&S trainer" working for the same company as you or someone who does training for others?

If they work for you, you might be dealing with someone who just hasn't kept up to date with the various qualifications that IOSH considers of comparable value - there is a flowchart somewhere on the IOSH website that shows you the route through the membership grades.

If this person just happens to earn their living from doing NEBOSH training, well they would say that, wouldn't they!!.