Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bazzer  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2020 09:56:52(UTC)
Bazzer

One of my clients has just had their spray booth staturtory examined and tested, and the report states that it has passed and captures the hazardous substances; yet the enfineer has failed it becasue he says there is no DSEAR risk assessment regarding ignition sources. 

There is a DSEAR risk assessment; there are no ignition sources in or near the spray booth; the fan is a bifurcated fan, suitable for the the job. My question is since the examination and test is a requirement of COSHH and it passes, how can he fail it as surely this is not in his remit

Bazzer  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2020 10:00:24(UTC)
Bazzer

Sorry, meant to say how can he fail it, as DSEAR is not in his remit

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2020 10:22:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

This is the issue with inspections: what do you test against? The guy was doing an inspection against some standard which includes the DSEAR element. It failed the test because of this.  But it looks like you are not interested in DSEAR element so the kit is being over tested for what you want. Usually it’s the other way around: LEV are often inspected and tested but only for the airflows etc not necessarily how effective they are at containing the contaminants you are using.

You need to be clear what you want the testing people to test for  ?

Bazzer  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2020 10:44:32(UTC)
Bazzer

In all previous examinations the spray booth has passed the tests under the requirments of COSHH; suddenly the engineer has decided to fail the booth under DSEAR, without any notification that their requirements have changed

As I have said we have a DSEAR assessment, but he was arguing that the fan wasn't suitable and I said it was a bifurcated fan, which when he got to the fan he found I was right.

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2020 12:24:39(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Tell the engineer to do the job he was paid for. A CoSHH statutory inspection. Nothing more. If you are happy with your DSEAR assessment, it isn't for him to pass judgement. Of course you could suggest his company will no longer be undertaking your inspections
IanDakin  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2020 09:16:57(UTC)
IanDakin

Hi Bazzer Has the engineer complied with the their P601 training? Also, you might want to ask if they have allthe required training and knowledge of the ILEVE/CIBSE competency framework as well