Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
B Ash  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2020 11:56:38(UTC)
B Ash

Morning, Would anyone know what the minimum decibel requirement is for reversing alarms on mobile plant. Strange request I know, however a complaint from residents has prompted this post. Many thanks Ben
CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2020 12:23:34(UTC)
CptBeaky

According to the HSE guidance on non-verbal auditory warnings

Quote:

Alarm signals should be at least 10 dB(A) over the background noise.

I suspect that is a good pace to start. There would never be a set limit, because it would depend on how noisy your workplace was.

Acorns  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2020 17:20:54(UTC)
Acorns

Have you looked at directional alarms - they work really well on LGVs, almost silent when stood at front of a reversing vehicle.
Kim Hedges  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2020 22:28:18(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Depending on your work, 'out of hours' tends to be quiet, so no horns or alarms, certainly in or near most towns and cities. 

There are also alternative noises, that are less intrusive, but still warn.

Perhaps also think of large convex mirrors on corners of structures and I.R. light beams with flashing lights. 

Also be aware that not all people can hear, some suffer from photo sensitive epilepsy and some people are just plain daft. 

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2020 22:38:29(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I just thought, if you are unloading the plant from the delivery truck, if the truck engine is running, then the 'siren' should be louder than the truck I suppose. 

Do 'sirens' come with a quiet setting? 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2020 08:48:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is this a permament or temporary site?

What time?

Which day?

Vehicle type?

Your permitted or agreed working hours?

Your permitted or agreed noise emissions?

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2020 08:48:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is this a permament or temporary site?

What time?

Which day?

Vehicle type?

Your permitted or agreed working hours?

Your permitted or agreed noise emissions?

B Ash  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2020 08:34:25(UTC)
B Ash

Good morning,

Many thanks for all your input and apologies for my late reply. The site has now opted for white noise reversing alarms where the units caan be reduced to 70dba. After consultations with the neighbours this appears to be an acceptable compromise.

Kind regards

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2020 09:17:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hope your site is not close to a main road where typical noise levels can range from 68dB (car on quiet tyres) to 105dB tipper waggon which would drown out any benefit of such a reversing alarm

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2020 09:17:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hope your site is not close to a main road where typical noise levels can range from 68dB (car on quiet tyres) to 105dB tipper waggon which would drown out any benefit of such a reversing alarm