Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kim Hedges  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2020 15:02:54(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I've been following the story of renewables and green energy since the oil problems of the mid 1970's and the grass roots of building alternatives to the fossil fuels industry.

My emails showed that the HSE will be conducting a training event regarding Hydrogen soon, the cost for delegates is close to £500.00, which to me is way to high, given that the HSE wants to promote a subject. 

On a side note, I saw that there are plans a-foot to inject 20% Hydrogen gas into the existing natural gas (a dirty, carbon rich, fossil fuel). [In a closed research zone]  It got me wondering why only 20% and not the whole hog of 100%.  So after a Google search I came across a web page called 'The Engineer' that discuses this very topic and what it will take to make the conversion from what we have now to a Hydrogen Civilisation that stops producing both carbon (flue gases) and carbon dioxide (the by product of burning carbon sources). 

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/domestic-hydrogen-appliances/

This site was written a couple of years ago, but the mechanics of what will need to be done are really quite straight forward and also offer an insight to future manufacturing opportunities by entreprenuers, 

Two days ago, HRH Prince Charles, gave an excellent speech at Davos, regarding energy development, market development and standards.  I do hope the HSE and Prince Charles liaise. 

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
martin paul jones on 25/01/2020(UTC)
johnmurray  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2020 17:10:11(UTC)
johnmurray

The current plan is to transition new homes built after 2025 to low-carbon heating systems......heat pumps mainly. Water vapour is several times more effective as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, by the way.

thanks 1 user thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 25/01/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2020 22:46:03(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Yeah water vapour is a beasty.  On a related note concerning Ground Pumps or Heat Pumps, I first became aware of them when I visited what was a redical place promoting alternative energy back in the late 1970's.  It's still going strong, less long hair apparently, they even have a web page now.  Good place for a family visit. 

https://www.cat.org.uk/come-to-cat/visiting/plan-your-visit/

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
jwk on 27/01/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2020 17:26:21(UTC)
Kate

Fortunately, the production and use of hydrogen as a fuel can have zero net effect on the global quantity of water - as it can be made by splitting water to start with, before recombining into water again when it is burned.

Its value is in storing the excess energy produced by renewable energy technologies when the wind is blowing or the sun is shining.  The energy in excess of demand is used to electrolyse water into hydrogen, which is then available as an energy source when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 26/01/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/01/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2020 10:38:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

One issue with hydrogen is how your store. It leaks from pipework etc as the molecule is so small.  Possible solutions include using liquid nitrogen as a fuel (scary!) Town gas (before North Seas Gas came along) had a significant proportion of hydrogen in it (50% ish).  When natural gas replaced Town gas every appliance had to be adjusted to burn the new fuel.  Is suspect that they are experimenting to see what is the maximum amount of hydrogen they can add to the gas supply without having to go through whole tweaking equipment process (and condemning the stuff that cannot be modified). They will also be arguing whole will be paying for the whole process.

The majority of industrial hydrogen available currently is a by-product of oil refining. If we went for electrolytic production of hydrogen from water we would have to massively increase our electricity generation capabilities (probably from nuclear!)

Rather than messing about with hydrogen I would suggest that we use our existing generating capacity more efficiently. For example if we had a direct link to the Spanish electricity grid we could use their off peak electricity during our periods of high demand and vice versa eg we use more in the winter when it is cold and dark but they use more in the summer for their air conditioning. Our evening peak is between 7 and  there’s is between 10 and 11.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 27/01/2020(UTC), Kate on 28/01/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2020 17:22:06(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I tend to disagree with the Nitrogen concept, purely on the grounds that it is overly complicated.  Petrol is a volatile product and in a way, far more of a risk in terms of handling than Hydrogen.

The great bonus to Hydrogen is that if a leak occurs, it migrates immediately to outer space, unlike conventional fuels that tend to hang around and make a risk.  The old coal gas, current 'natural' gas, LPG, Butane and Propane, all share the same risks as Petrol and heavier products like diesel vapours. 

Over the decades we have learned to mitigate risks and live with other acceptable risks. 

I found a website that has Hydrogen pipework covered; 

https://www.weh.com/refuelling-components-hydrogen.html

Kim Hedges  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2020 18:19:44(UTC)
Kim Hedges

On a practical note, there is the Bristol boat company that had a boat in the water running on Hydrogen with support from Bristol Council. 

http://www.bristolhydrogenboats.co.uk/index.html

I found an old Youtube link that is still valid (I think) regarding hydrogen leaks.  The speaker is a fountain of knowledge on the subject of hydrogen and there are quite a few linked presentations all about hydrogen.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vv7oLpOaWk&list=PLCDC3CC9963FF7603&index=6

Edited by user 27 January 2020 23:13:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

johnmurray  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2020 09:43:24(UTC)
johnmurray

The plan is to end gas installations in new build.....somewhere around 2025....and move to all-electric households.... I suggest a read of the Renewable Heat Incentive: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk...-programmes/domestic-rhi

My house is heated by an air-source heat pump....with an electric provider supplying energy at 15p/KWH, it is cheaper to run than gas.

Hydrogen is inlikely to be a major provider of energy.

thanks 1 user thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 29/01/2020(UTC)