Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peter gotch  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2020 15:45:55(UTC)
peter gotch

Prompted by Torres' posting about Permits and another thread.

This is aimed mostly at those who work in places where accident rates have progressively reduced since about the Second World War, so that even minor accidents don't tend to be a daily experience.

If you work in health and safety, does your job title say so, or does it still just focus on Safety?

There's the holistic view Safety encompasses health and wellbeing, but in practice, these are still the poor relations, with Safety taking first priority - that's where most of the bad news happens, that cannot be ignored as the consequences happen NOW!!

But, in most working environments the adverse consequences of occupational health risks are MUCH, MUCH worse.

So, as example in the UK, statistics reported on the Health & Safety Executive website paint a portrait of far more days lost at a much, much greater socio-economic cost.

Now, I realise that you might work in an environment where life (at least for the lower levels of society) is "cheap" and the immediate safety risks just simply need to be dealt with as the No 1 priority and you just don't have much time to deal with the risks whose consequences may not be noticed for months, years or decades.

But for most people on these Forums that isn't the case. So, if you are one of them, when are you going to take steps to get Health added to your title (if it isn't already)? After that we can have a debate about all the other things like Welfare (by whatever name)!

Then after that what comes next in the title? "Guy" is OK in a discussion thread! But it's probably not in the title of that "safety guy".

So, is it Officer? - do you want to be a Policeman, when you are there - and if so, who owns health and safety when you are NOT there?

Is it Manager, or even Director? Do you have the power to manage or direct, backed up with control of the resources? Usually not.

So, why not push to be what you should be - an Adviser (with an 'o' or 'e', whichever is your organisation's preference!)?

Get that title sorted and those who should be Managing health and safety might find it easier to remember that is NOT the job of the Safety Guy.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
UKCG73@GMAIL.COM on 27/01/2020(UTC), SteveForrest on 28/01/2020(UTC)
Acorns  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2020 17:10:25(UTC)
Acorns

I can see where you’re going, but I see no real concern or worry whether the job title is officer, person, manager, director or anything else really. Hopefully the title won’t mould what I do and in many cases those who I have dealings with have scant regard for what my contracted job title may be either. In some cases, it can be restrictive rather than Liberating and encompassing. It’s an interesting post as only a few day’s I was researching the forum over the titles of “consultant” -v- “Advisor”. In summary there were those who did see a difference and those who saw them wholly interchangeable.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2020 21:42:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

IMHO consultant has its own unique and non-interchageable meaning compared with advisor
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2020 21:42:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

IMHO consultant has its own unique and non-interchageable meaning compared with advisor
Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2020 21:56:51(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Not Guy.

Safety Champion maybe. 

Manager.

Director.

It used to be Safety Officer, years ago, then Safety Advisor, but due to a combination of budget cuts, staff cuts, equal rights, political correctness issues and changes in perception, the original role of Health and Safety has grown to encompass Security, Transport Control, Environmental Officer or Manager, Welfare Officer or Manager and Human Resources Manager (what was Personnel until people were replaced with anonymous staff numbers). 

Whatever the title, please just make sure they are paid more than the going rate, whatever that is. 

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
UKCG73@GMAIL.COM on 27/01/2020(UTC)
MrBrightside  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2020 09:50:52(UTC)
MrBrightside

I have been,

Health & Safety Advisor

Health, Safety and Environmental Co-ordinator

HSEQ Advisor

SHE Consultant

SHE Manager

Health, Safety, Environmental and Building Services Manager

Regional SHE Manager

National Health & Safety Manager

And they all have addtional duties not mentioned in the title. For me the title is meaningless, with the job disciption (if you have one) being more detailed.

I have never once said to any one 'thats not my  responsibility'. I will help whereever I can, even if that means taking on extra work if it will help out. I will push back and look for extra resource if required but thats where being a Safety Person becomes more than knowing about Safety. Something that even IOSH has reconised now.

I have focused more on mental health and welbeing more recently than i did before, but thats progress of myself and my knowledge.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

thanks 2 users thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 27/01/2020(UTC), SteveForrest on 28/01/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2020 10:06:49(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When I was in the civil service the official title was Safety Officer but this gave people the impression that I “did” safety rather like the finance officer did money. When we became an agency what could choose our own titles (a colleague wanted to be H&S czar, which was bit much!). I went to for adviser.  This is because my job was (and still is) to advise people of how they should approach H&S. I don’t do the risk assessment because I don’t know enough about the nit gritty of the job to do them effectively and am certainly not an H&S policeman.

H&S champion is what I’d call some person without any particular qualifications who in addition to their normal operational role promotes H&S in their area.

H&S repetitive is someone appointed to look at particular H&S issues without any  responsibilities for making anything happen eg by a union

An H&S consultant is an outside person who brings in extra expertise but is not a direct employee of the organisation.

The H&S manager is the person that signs off my expenses

CptBeaky  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2020 10:42:24(UTC)
CptBeaky

Not really sure what my job title is, and I am sure my job description is more fluid than water.

That being said, I tend to use H&S co-ordinator or advisor when asked. I co-ordinate the various resources in regards to HS&W, from people to plant etc. I advise my managers (the directors really, as I have no manager as such), sometimes they listen, sometimes they over-rule me. I don't stress about it unless it is a point of law, rather than a point of improvement. I just send an e-mail with my concerns at the desicion and move on. I do sometimes have to enforce a rule, which would suggest that I am also an "Officer" of sorts.

The thing is that some of us H&S "guys/gurls" work at SMEs that still need dragging into the 21st century (sometimes even the 20th!). We don't all work for multi-million pound companies. At this point it is far less about titles, and far more to do with the day to day challenges of the role. We don't have the luxury of pushing H&S onto someone else (HR, managers etc.) because there are none. We do our best to protect those affected by our work, whilst at the same time trying to juggle numerous other tasks.

This isn't a complaint. I love my job. 

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
billyTPS on 27/01/2020(UTC)
ttxela  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2020 10:54:41(UTC)
ttxela

I am quite simply the 'UK Facilities Manager' the international company I work for being of the opinion the H&S comes under Facilities.

Edited by user 27 January 2020 10:55:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jwk  
#10 Posted : 27 January 2020 14:46:20(UTC)
jwk

Head of Safe Mission, though really Head of Mission Impossible would be closer to the truth...

John

thanks 3 users thanked jwk for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 28/01/2020(UTC), RayRapp on 28/01/2020(UTC), toe on 31/01/2020(UTC)
RayRapp  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2020 09:38:07(UTC)
RayRapp

This is a topic where IOSH should take a greater lead I believe. A consistent approach to job titles would go a long way in giving our industry some much needed identitiy and kudos. It might also better reflect the different grades within IOSH if job titles were made more relevant to a person's status.

First though, we need an industry which is recognised as an industry sector. Having Googled 'Industry sectors list' the first item was International Labour Organisation (ILO) list of sectors. Health Services was the nearest option to health and safety. Therefore I suggest lobbying ILO to include 'Safety, Health and Wellbeing' as a starter for 10. 

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
jwk on 29/01/2020(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2020 10:19:38(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

That's a good point Ray

I have the same issue every year when renewing insurances... When prompted for my occupation, quite often "Local Authority Safety Officer" appears in their generic drop down boxes as the closest option (even though I don't have anything to do with the Local Authority, and I'm not a Safety Officer) !

Edited by user 28 January 2020 10:20:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Elfin Davy 09 for this useful post.
aud on 29/01/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#13 Posted : 28 January 2020 10:37:35(UTC)
chris42

Initially that would seem a good idea, but would that not say “you have to be in IOSH to be in H&S” and so inadvertently strengthen their monopoly. It would also suggest that to be an advisor you need to be Chartered, but there are perfectly good H&S people who are Grad or Tech IOSH and whatever grading system IIRSM for example use. The law is written so that a small business / even one-man band could do their own H&S, ie make suitable arrangements with respect to the nature and size of the organisation.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 29/01/2020(UTC)