Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gasman  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2020 18:02:43(UTC)
Gasman

Looking into the NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety & Risk Management. Are there other equivalent courss out there? NEBOSH does seem to be the best route, however I haven't looked at prices yet.

Gasman  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2020 18:07:48(UTC)
Gasman

Sorry, I wanted to add that PHOENIXHSC is doing this course for £395. Has anyone studied this via them? Is it up to scratch? and what do you thinkof the price?

forestgate2016  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2020 21:19:42(UTC)
forestgate2016

You could go the NEBOSH, IFSM or the NFPA route it depends on how indepth a knowledge you are seeking.

Paul20403  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2020 23:32:43(UTC)
Paul20403

It depends what you want to end up doing. If you are going to be carrying out fire risk assessments commercially you should do a FRA course that is recognised by the FRA registers as it is highly likely you will soon need to be on an approved register to carry out assessments in the next couple of years.

The NEBOSH course, whilst good (I have done it) is NOT recognised. The FPA do several good courses that are recognised and CS Todd do excellent courses that are also recognised. I went on to do the FPA diploma (2 years distance learning) which starts with a one week fire risk assessment course and goes on to a lot of other interesting topics. I would recommend it. 

Gasman  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2020 11:15:11(UTC)
Gasman

Originally Posted by: Paul20403 Go to Quoted Post

It depends what you want to end up doing. If you are going to be carrying out fire risk assessments commercially you should do a FRA course that is recognised by the FRA registers as it is highly likely you will soon need to be on an approved register to carry out assessments in the next couple of years.

The NEBOSH course, whilst good (I have done it) is NOT recognised. The FPA do several good courses that are recognised and CS Todd do excellent courses that are also recognised. I went on to do the FPA diploma (2 years distance learning) which starts with a one week fire risk assessment course and goes on to a lot of other interesting topics. I would recommend it. 

Thank you! I suppose if you are going to go through and do a fire risk assessment course you might as well do one that is recognised. I am only doing it to further my skills/knowledge, but it would be dissapointing if a employer asked me to do a FRA that wouldn't be recognised. When you say not recognised does that mean it wouldn't be sufficient for insurance? Obviously in H&S anyone can do a RA, but I would assume that isn't the case with fire for obvious reasons? 

Paul20403  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2020 15:28:24(UTC)
Paul20403

Its not that your risk assessment wont be valid, but.... Following Grenfell there is a lot of talk of making fire risk assessors be on a register of assessors, particularly for higher risk buildings (such as sleeping accommodation). If I was going to do fire risk assessment training now I would want it to be with one of the courses that are recognised by the registration bodies. If you are only doing low risk, in-company assessments, this may not be necessary, but personally I would future proof any training. That is not to say that the NEBOSH course isn't any good, it is and I have done it, but annoyingly, NEBOSH haven't submitted the content to the IFE for approval for the register, so it doesn't count as an approved course against the standard needed to get on the assessors register (you also need to submit some assessments and go for an interview, but if you see your future in fire risk assessing, its worth it).