Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigb102  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2020 11:36:07(UTC)
craigb102

I am trying to find a suitable way to protect a worker within my facility who has level 3 hearing loss. they currently wear the over ear type of hearing aids in both ears. noise levels within the facility are on average over 85. we have tried ear muffs but they cause feedback through the hearing aid. Has anyone come across this before and found a solution? Thanks Craig

SNS  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2020 11:40:32(UTC)
SNS

I have the same challenge, hearing loss due to aircraft and engineering noise damage. I take my aids out and use moulded plugs shaped for my ears.

The risk is that I may then not be hearing enough of what is going on around me. 

Might be worth asking him to check with his hearing aids provider and get their recommendations. Do you have the octave banding survey for your noisy area? - as that may affect the provision.

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2020 12:28:21(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think you need specific advice from the hearing aid supplier and the person's ENT professional team.  They have a display board in the ENT centre where they issue hearing aids in my local hospital which shows which hearing protection is suitable for use with which hearing aids but I don't suppose that all hospital departments have that.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2020 14:35:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2020 14:35:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 19/02/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2020 23:22:06(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't give much info. 

On a personal note, I seem to remember when I did my first certificate in managing safety all those years ago, hearing loss was talked about and something about preventing people with either lack of sight or hearing impairment to be stopped from doing work in that field, as the risk to the employer was greater than somebody with normal senses.   So maybe a different job in the company where the risk is not present?  

BigRab  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2020 16:42:03(UTC)
BigRab

I have a similar problem (hearing aids in both ears) and, although ear muffs do tend to cause feedback this is less of a problem that the comfort issue. I can usually adjust the aids to reduce or eliminate feedback but I find the ear muffs to be too small. I don't have particularly large ears but the ear muffs tend to press against the aid and, as I also wear glasses, they cause uncomfortable pressure on my head

I have asked a number of manufacturers about this at various exhibitions over the years but nobody had a solution.