Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris_dp  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2020 15:29:34(UTC)
Chris_dp

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker here and this is my first post as I feel I would like people’s views/advice on a matter that has troubled me this week. 

Quick overview, I have managed the H&S for a shopfitting company for the last 10 years which is done alongside my main role of Op's Manager for the same company. 

On Monday this week a member of staff contacted me to inform me they would not be in work due to an issue with their partner and their "head not being right", I replied to them that they could take the day off as a holiday. 

Later on that day I had a call from a member of their family who was clearly very distressed telling me that the person in question had taken an overdose of tablets and had been found unconscious on the floor of their bedroom, subsequently the person had been rushed to hospital in an ambulance.  

Given the nature of the phone call I didn’t ask many questions and just informed them not to worry about work and we would be here when things were better. I haven’t heard anything since but have been thinking about how we can support this person going forward all being well.

Looking at it from a H&S point of view I believe this is completely none work related but obviously I would like to support them as best as I can with advise and support group details that may be beneficial.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with anything similar?

Many thanks 

JoshBoam  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2020 16:17:42(UTC)
JoshBoam

Hi Chris,

Do you have any mental health or wellbeing initiatives in your workplace?

I think remaining supportive of their recovery and wellbeing is the most important thing initally. Work should be the last thing on their mind. Maybe think about welfare checks when the time is right, either going to visit (if they are happy with that), a phone call or even a text to see how they are doing. Knowing your support is there will help.

It's important that everything is taken at a steady pace and nothing is rushed. You could also look at external supportive agencies to assist if you feel that is necessary.

Hope this helps.

thanks 2 users thanked JoshBoam for this useful post.
Adams29600 on 19/02/2020(UTC), JohnW on 26/02/2020(UTC)
Ron Hunter  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2020 17:07:43(UTC)
Ron Hunter

I think you need to consider this as more than an initiative, and take the matter up with HR /Directors, etc.

If this employee had called in with a physical ailment, would you have still said they could take annual leave?

Mental Health and physical health shouldn't have different house rules. Also beware of taking initial information at face value - those under mental duress will often avoid the whole truth about real causes.

Best wishes to the individual for a full recovery - which may take considerable time.

There are any amount of resources out there (NHS, HSE, etc.) to help shape policy in this area.

thanks 1 user thanked Ron Hunter for this useful post.
JohnW on 26/02/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2020 13:48:52(UTC)
Kate

The initial support they need is from their GP.

It's the right thing not to pressure them to come back before they are ready, while letting them know you care and want to support them.

When they are thinking about coming back, you could invite them in just for a return to work interview before they actually come back.  This gives the opportunity to show your genuine concern for their well-being, listen to them, find out if there is a work-related factor in this that you may not know about that exacerbates the other problems, offer support and explore what you can do for them which might include a change of duties, phased return to work, time off for counselling etc.  You will also need to agree what their colleagues are going to be told.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
JohnW on 26/02/2020(UTC)
jwalker  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2020 13:20:50(UTC)
jwalker

Hi Chris, 

First of all hope the person in question is ok. 

You are right to be concerned and considering getting in touch with the person. A simple text or phone call will most likely go a long way, just to see how they are. 

when they are ready to return I agree a phased return and a return to work interview may be best as previously reccomended. It also may be an opportunity to for your business to have a wellbeing programme in place. 

Working in the Rail industry myself, we have a lot of initiatives in place inc Mental Health first aiders and we are alinged with a couple of companies which provide confidential support for anyone who needs it. 

hope this helps

All the best