Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hopeful  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2020 14:22:28(UTC)
hopeful

Hello

Trying to get a feel for what others do to prepare for a discussion where myself and our HR Director believe we should be doing different things for Board and Director development.

How often do you deliver H&S training for your board and senior executives and what do you cover?

We havent done anything for over 3 years so have new board members and directors with no formal training by us.

We were looking to run a short course covering legal responsibilities, developing culture, monitoring performance as the main headlines.

Would be intersted in what other do out there

Thank you in advance

SNS  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2020 21:16:08(UTC)
SNS

We use IOSH Directing safely delivered in one day face-to-face. It is available on line but we considered that face to face is worth the benefit.

jwalker  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2020 13:06:57(UTC)
jwalker

Hi, 

Different companies i have worked for have tried a range of different training courses over the years.

In one business i worked for the Director held NEBOSH general which alway went down well with external auditors, but for me that was above and beyond. 

Behavioural Safety programmes are normally the go to method for me with regards to training. This training can be tailored to your senior management team, can cover the legal responsibilities sections and at the same time dive into culture. External companies are normally best for this. 

hope this helps 

Wailes900134  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2020 07:06:31(UTC)
Wailes900134

Originally Posted by: hopeful Go to Quoted Post
How often do you deliver H&S training for your board and senior executives and what do you cover? We havent done anything for over 3 years so have new board members and directors with no formal training by us. We were looking to run a short course covering legal responsibilities, developing culture, monitoring performance as the main headlines.
I would barely touch on the legal bits other than a brief reminder they exist. In my experience they generally know this and it may inadvertently set the session up to feel like a compliance box ticker. Focus on "their role" in developing culture, as opposed to an interesting insight into culture generally. Also on "their contribution" to both "monitoring and influencing" performance (this is markedly different to "demanding and measuring" results as "what gets measured gets managed" but in my experience what gets genuinely monitored gets embedded...) I think leadership safety support is an essential feature of a performing business but would resist the "off the shelf" options as something built for your direct needs will resonate with this pivotal group much better. Hope this helps.
craigroberts76  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2020 14:30:47(UTC)
craigroberts76

I've been involved in a company where the directors have zero input in the day to day or even month to month running of the business.  never did any training rightly or wrongly, the management team ran the business, they just took the money.

as they were employing people into that role, they saw it as they didnt need it.

Elfin Davy 09  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2020 11:34:13(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Sadly, that's more common that you would think Craig...

Edited by user 05 March 2020 11:34:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified