Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2020 09:08:00(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I was having a discussion with an employee a few days ago regarding a minor accident and the employee in question just so happened to volunteer some information about themselves (regarding if they ever have a serious cut, because their blood doesn't clot, the first thing our first aiders should do is dial 999) that I thought it was a good idea to issue the info to our first aiders. In this case, the employee didn't care who knew (in fact, the more the merrier as he wanted to be sure everybody was aware). It got me thinking though; whilst it might be a good idea to have certain information on file regarding specific first aid requirements, would this also apply to medication? I know first aiders aren't supposed to adminster, but is it a good idea - and even lawful, if the information is voluntered - to compile a list of people's specific medication and/or first aid requirements? I know some people are diabetic, some have heart trouble etc aand I was thinking of putting out a memo to all employees to ask them to volunteer the info - if they so wished - and pass this information onto first aiders (and overs, if they were agreeable) but I wasn't sure if I was going to get myself into "deep water" for doing so. Thoughts? Thanks.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2020 09:27:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There should not be a problem as long as the following things apply:

1. The person volunteers the information: you can’t make them tell you their medical history but they can agree and of course sharing such information is of benefit to them.
  2. The information is kept secure and only issued to the people who need to know ie first aiders
  3. It is kept up to date. It has to be reviewed and should be deleted if the person no longer has the condition, if they leave you employment or if they don’t want it on record anymore.
  4. It should only be used for first aid purposes. Nobody else should be able to access it and use it eg HR if they are looking to sack someone on medical grounds (that is where you will get into trouble with someone possibly trying to muscle in).
thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 25/02/2020(UTC), Hsquared14 on 25/02/2020(UTC), jwk on 27/02/2020(UTC)
Svick1984  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2020 09:35:44(UTC)
Svick1984

Thank you again A Kurdziel.

jmaclaughlin  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2020 10:04:30(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

A precondition of employment on the railway for safety critical roles, is a PTS(Personal Track Safety) medical in which you have to delcare medication and medical history.

You are then assigned a level (1 - 5) which dictates what roles you can perform.

https://www.networkrail-training.co.uk/media/documents/competence_medical_requirements.pdf

So if you wanted to adopt something similar as a company policy (depending on your industry) you could do so without "Getting into deep water".

Sharing peoples medical conditions/medication on the other hand, probably will lead you into deep water as you no longer have control of the data as its shared with 1st aiders and others.

thanks 1 user thanked jmaclaughlin for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 25/02/2020(UTC)
mike52  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2020 10:31:38(UTC)
mike52

Most people i know who have potentially serious conditions are willing to tell thier employer. As stated above it must be thier choice to give this info. A Kurdzeil mentioned others ac essing this info (eg HR) where i once worked tbe HR officer was also a first aider. Mike
thanks 1 user thanked mike52 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 25/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 25 February 2020 10:49:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

In organisations with strict drugs and alcohol policies it is not unusual that anyone taking prescription or over the counter medicine is required to inform the employer in case a random test throws up a result that could be attributed to the medication - generally this information is not shared.

However in this entitled era is your compiling a list wise? What about the newly diagnosed, new starter, changed prescription your First Aiders are yet to be made aware of.

At the end of the day would medical information significantly change what a First Aider does?

Let First Aiders do what they have practiced and medical personnel do what they have trained for.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2020 10:49:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

In organisations with strict drugs and alcohol policies it is not unusual that anyone taking prescription or over the counter medicine is required to inform the employer in case a random test throws up a result that could be attributed to the medication - generally this information is not shared.

However in this entitled era is your compiling a list wise? What about the newly diagnosed, new starter, changed prescription your First Aiders are yet to be made aware of.

At the end of the day would medical information significantly change what a First Aider does?

Let First Aiders do what they have practiced and medical personnel do what they have trained for.

Kate  
#8 Posted : 25 February 2020 12:56:13(UTC)
Kate

If you are collecting information for the purpose of giving it to first aiders, it needs to be useful in the first aid context, both to comply with data protection requirements and to prevent overwhelming first aiders with too much information.

Knowing what medical conditions or medication a person has is not always going to be useful, as first aiders are not trained to interpret medical information.    There are a few cases where this knowledge can be useful to a first aider, such as epilepsy (affects whether the first aider calls 999 during a seizure), diabetes (alerts the first aider to interpret behaviour as a possible sign of an episode), and where someone keeps their emergency medication (so they can get it brought to them). 

First aiders are now trained to administer adrenaline injectors (Epi-pens); in other cases they would be limited to helping the casualty take their medication (the name of which would probably mean nothing to the average first aider).

Svick1984  
#9 Posted : 25 February 2020 15:41:22(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks all.

To flip it on its head, is there any medical condition that has to be reported by an employee to the employer? I know there is a legal requirement to disclose information to the DVLA if you have a certain 'notifable' medical condition or disability, but I'm not sure if there is anything - post application and interview stage - that an employee has to report to the employer (or whether it is simply advised that they do so); is anyone able to clarify? I only ask because I want people to know that they have the option to provide information that may be relevant for first aid (if they wish to do so) but at the same time, I don't want to confuse people by making them think they don't have to disclose anything, as this may not be the case?

Kate  
#10 Posted : 25 February 2020 16:23:27(UTC)
Kate

It can be a requirement to inform your employer if you have a medical condition or medication that affects your ability to work safely.  This might for example be a contractual requirement.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 26/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2020 16:51:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Anything on the RIDDOR notifiables, otherwise how will the employer make notification?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 26/02/2020(UTC), Svick1984 on 26/02/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 25 February 2020 16:51:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Anything on the RIDDOR notifiables, otherwise how will the employer make notification?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 26/02/2020(UTC), Svick1984 on 26/02/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#13 Posted : 26 February 2020 09:29:33(UTC)
craigroberts76

every 6 months I send out an electronic health survey form to all our workers.  it asks about any issues with HAV's, noise / hearing issues, muscular issues etc, but then also about any other conditions such as epilepsy, heart conditions etc.  This is stored and accessible by HR and myself in the office, however as they work on sites this information cannot be transferred to client sites.  If a worker has a new ailment or medication we ask for it so we can check it doesnt impact on their safety (such as balance, fatique etc).

Recently we've had a couple that have admitted to new issues and we've then had a conversation about it, how it affects them AND their mental health impacts.  As long as its relevant and potentially alerts us to something that could injure or kill them or someone else, i dont see any issues.

Also by doing it every 6 months it helps to fight any cases that may appear in years to come about HAV's etc that we werent informed about (dermatitus is another big one)

thanks 1 user thanked craigroberts76 for this useful post.
JohnW on 26/02/2020(UTC)
JohnW  
#14 Posted : 26 February 2020 09:51:47(UTC)
JohnW

Craig, I also regard that process as important, particularly in some factory environments where MSDs are a risk; it’s part of ‘health surveillance’. I’ve had clients dealing with MSD injury claims and it hasn’t helped them if they were not monitoring the health of employees who do repetitive manual handling work.