Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrianKane  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2020 10:09:39(UTC)
BrianKane

Hi, can someone please direct me to any information with regard to Light Eye Protection whilst driving items of plant around sites with the window down. Any Information would be most welcome.

Invictus  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2020 10:28:33(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: BrianKane Go to Quoted Post

Hi, can someone please direct me to any information with regard to Light Eye Protection whilst driving items of plant around sites with the window down. Any Information would be most welcome.

Is the light impact not the same if you are driving your own vehicle or walking around?

BrianKane  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:02:07(UTC)
BrianKane

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BrianKane Go to Quoted Post

Is the light impact not the same if you are driving your own vehicle or walking around?

There are many facets to that argument. I'm looking for hard facts whereby someone can quote legislation or guidance. I have not been able to find anything that would resemble legal compliance. Local site rules yes, but nothing that resembles a legal standpoint.
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:07:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Brian you will need to be more specific as to what it is you are seeking response to and the role you are asking from.

As a construction site can typically be dusty what is it you (or they) are hoping to control with LEP?

Wind blown dust will get around the sides of the protection as it is designed for frontal impact.

Most sites blanket PPE becuase that is the simple route.

You will not find specific legislation only the Risk Assessment.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/03/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 13/03/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:07:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Brian you will need to be more specific as to what it is you are seeking response to and the role you are asking from.

As a construction site can typically be dusty what is it you (or they) are hoping to control with LEP?

Wind blown dust will get around the sides of the protection as it is designed for frontal impact.

BrianKane  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:53:09(UTC)
BrianKane

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the reply but is the Principle Designer who states that "it is a given on construction sites". In my experience, nothing is a "given" on sites. I agree that the risk assessment is the key to this but when you get statements as I have previously stated, then we can end up at loggerheads. I see no issue with a telehandler operator who may occasionally wind down his window (whilst not wearing LEP) to cool down his cab or speak to people. Some people obviously do take issue with this, without doing a risk assessment.

Edited by user 12 March 2020 11:53:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kate  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:57:32(UTC)
Kate

Blanket PPE rules are unfortunately very common without accounting for the different risk in different situations.  It's because it's easier to manage when there is one rule that everyone knows that covers all situations, even where the PPE isn't protecting against a hazard.

While I appreciate that this looks excessive, I think it's probably not worth trying to change unless it is actually increasing the risk in some way.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/03/2020(UTC)
BrianKane  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2020 12:10:40(UTC)
BrianKane

Thanks for the reply Kate. Unfortunately, this is what gives H&S a bad name. I would like to get away from the blanket PPE stance and address by RA and a common sense approach (Don't say common sense isn't very common as I know all of the Cliches). He need not wear LEP when the cab is enclosed but must don it every time he winds down his window...... Hmmm.

Kate  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2020 12:32:51(UTC)
Kate

I know ... and you are not wrong ... but whoever is in charge of the site makes the site rules.  You haven't said exactly what the situation is - are you sending sub-contractors to work on a construction site?  If that's the case, then the Principal Contractor is entitled to set the rules.

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2020 12:53:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Perhaps this is a more appropriate campaign for iosh to be involved with?

I can get wearing the gear to/from the cab but within? - not sure of any records showing someone in a cab got run over because they did not have Hi-Vis on inside the cab, nor that they were struck on the head by a dropped item in a coever cab.

Then there is my favourite issue with LEP the walk from the site entrance on the public highway to the lockers/changing facilities and on to the job - how does the dust know not to fly in to the eye of soemone as they enter or leave site?

Sounds like the PD is doing like all simlar desk bound assessments thinking without thinking

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2020 12:53:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

I can get wearing the gear to/from the cab but within? - not sure of any records showing someone in a cab got run over because they did not have Hi-Vis on inside the cab, nor that they were struck on the head by a dropped item in a coever cab.

Then there is my favourite issue with LEP the walk from the site entrance on the public highway to the lockers/changing facilities and on to the job - how does the dust know not to fly in to the eye of soemone as they enter or leave site?

Sounds like the PD is doing like all simlar desk bound assessments thinking without thinking

BrianKane  
#12 Posted : 12 March 2020 12:59:05(UTC)
BrianKane

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I know ... and you are not wrong ... but whoever is in charge of the site makes the site rules.  You haven't said exactly what the situation is - are you sending sub-contractors to work on a construction site?  If that's the case, then the Principal Contractor is entitled to set the rules.

We are the PC and he works of us. The Client Representatives have stated that "it's a given on construction sites".... I'm not so sure!
BrianKane  
#13 Posted : 12 March 2020 13:03:08(UTC)
BrianKane

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Brilliantly put. I totally agree! 
peter gotch  
#14 Posted : 12 March 2020 13:10:41(UTC)
peter gotch

Brian, sometimes the PC needs to stand up to the Client or the PD.

Usually the PC will know more about site health and safety than the other duty holders.

So, as a starting point may be it's a case of asking the Client why "it's a given" and reminding them that it is for the PC to write and maintain a suitable Construction Phase Plan inclusive of the site rules.

Does the CONTRACT tell you what specific rules to set?

Kate  
#15 Posted : 13 March 2020 08:14:42(UTC)
Kate

Now that I know you are the PC I withdraw my suggestion that it's not worth contesting!